Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #61 
KHarris89

I don't think I'd want to own a wolf.. ever lol I like to separate exotic pets into 2 categories: Ones that have the ability to kill you, and ones that don't.... I'd rather stay in the 'ones that don't' category LOL

Gorgeous bird btw!
KHarris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #62 
Aahnay

wow, so cute! I suppose if they are bred and raised in captivity, then yes. But so many animals, like the Capuchin arent. Their mothers are shot, and the pellets sometimes lodge in the babies. The babies are then captured, and shipped off.

That breaks my heart. A lot of animals are captured in a similar way.

Yes I know I know, betta too. =)
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #63 
TheCrabbyTabby

Fennec foxes are actually acquired the same way. They are taken away from the mom, usually at a very young age and usually the mom is killed, and the kits are hand raised.

Then they are sold as "pets".
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #64 
registereduser

Just because people can have an exotic pet doesn't mean they should.

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/index.php
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #65 
KHarris89

If you're getting a fennec fox in the US, which is where most if not all US fennec fox owners have gotten them, you're getting one from a breeder who has bred generations upon generations to produce pet-quality animals. There is no need to take them from the wild.

Ferrets are classified as 'exotic pets', and I have 4. Sugar Gliders are also classified in that group, as well as chinchillas, hedgehogs, cockatiels, turtles and lizards, gerbils and some hamsters, and other reptiles/rodents/birds that we are familiar with being owned as pets. Exotics aren't just limited to the ones we're not used to seeing as pets.

Exotic pets can also refer to animals that are not native to the local area or country, which makes the betta an exotic pet

Last edited by KHarris89; 07-11-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #66 
starrlamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarris89 View Post
If you're getting a fennec fox in the US, which is where most if not all US fennec fox owners have gotten them, you're getting one from a breeder who has bred generations upon generations to produce pet-quality animals. There is no need to take them from the wild.

Ferrets are classified as 'exotic pets', and I have 4. Sugar Gliders are also classified in that group, as well as chinchillas, hedgehogs, cockatiels, turtles and lizards, gerbils and some hamsters, and other reptiles/rodents/birds that we are familiar with being owned as pets. Exotics aren't just limited to the ones we're not used to seeing as pets.

Exotic pets can also refer to animals that are not native to the local area or country, which makes the betta an exotic pet
yup, you cant lump all exotics into a good or bad category, it isnt that simple!
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #67 
KHarris89

Exactly. Unfortunately when some people hear the term 'exotic pet', they automatically think big cats/wolves/primates and other deadly animals that can easily kill you if they wanted to. They don't think about the small ones that do little to no harm. Foxes for example, they only bite if threatened with no way out, and if they do then it's like a cat or small dog biting you. Yeah it hurts, but it's not going to maim you. Heck, cats are more dangerous than foxes because they can claw the heck out of you out of nowhere in addition to biting lol
Granted I don't agree with people who keep big cats like tigers/lions/cougars/etc and other deadly exotics, but it's not my place to tell them what they can and can't do.
The number one exotic I would love to own would be a Spotted Genet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G-EP...feature=topics
Old 07-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #68 
nel3

a fennec would be nice but id prefer a sibfox. they're designer domesticated foxes in Russia that have strict owner requirement for even considering one by the farm. they took the tamest fox and bred them. they even lost the traditional 2 tone red/white or silver coat. you can google sibfox easily.

i dont have such facitilites to keep a fox but id rather go for the larger one if i had the right conditions to own one..

Last edited by nel3; 07-13-2012 at 09:56 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #69 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I heard the funding was cut down for them and a bunch of those foxes got put down.
Which is good, Russia's spending money on way more useful hybrid animals now. They're working on these crazy coyote-dog crosses who have like, a WAY better sense of smell than dogs do.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #70 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I heard the funding was cut down for them and a bunch of those foxes got put down.
Which is good, Russia's spending money on way more useful hybrid animals now. They're working on these crazy coyote-dog crosses who have like, a WAY better sense of smell than dogs do.
thats news to me, 1st time i heard of that. it is what it is, nothing is 100% guaranteed these says. they'll probably come up with similar fur patterns as sibfoxes. it seems to be the result from such selective breeding.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote