Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

$6 heater for small tanks.

I bought this heater off ebay (ofcourse being skeptical of whether it will even turn on) no only does it function, it also keeps the temperature spot on.

I've tested it in a 1/2 gal and a 1gal. on the lowest setting it stays about 75F, perfect, steady temperatures. LOL true budget heater.

Only downside is that it will likely take 2-3 weeks to arrive.

ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #2 
Spazzfish

I was just like "i need geaters before winter sets in..." And boom! thanks :)
Spazzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

you're welcome :D now people have less of an excuse not to get a heater for their small tanks!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

just bumping this thread up since the colder months are approaching. It works both on the US voltage and international. pretty nifty thing. works very well can heat from 1/2gallon to 5 gallons (tested at 50F room temperature). I'm just about to order another as a back up.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #5 
CandiceMM

What a great idea!!! I can heat all my 2.5gallons! Thanks for the tip!
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #6 
DragonFish

o.o This is fantastic! I might go buy like....five of these. xD Lol. How well does it do in a 5 gallon? Have you tested it in one?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #7 
BettaQi

Aokashi this is great!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #8 
Silverfang

Quick question, how long is it? I've seen heaters that range from 6-10 inches. I might have to look into picking up a pair.

Edit: I've checked ebay, it looks like alot of them say this:

Voltage: AC220-240V/50-60Hz Not suitable for USA/Canada 110/120V use

so look before you buy!

Last edited by Silverfang; 09-07-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #9 
MSG

I'm curious to what the maximum temperature setting on this thing would be.....

• From what I gather this heater is about 6 inches or around 16-17 cm. I'm always wary of electronics that come with outlet plugs with no precut holes. That's a clear sign they're cheaply made.
  • The cheapest one of those 25w heaters is about $5.29, but pay close attention to the shipping date.
  • If you order this heater, just check it for manufacturing defects. I'm pretty sure the factory that created this heater doesn't really have strict QC standards.
  • I would also soak it in some water for a little bit to see if any weird chemical rings form on the surface. After rinse the thing in some warm/hot water just in case there's residue left on it from the factory.
  • Regardless, this is a much BETTER option than those NON-ADJUSTABLE heating pads designed for small 1-2 gallon tanks.
  • Using one of those heat pads, I tried to increase the water temperature in a 1 gallon from 74-78 degrees. Thought 15 minutes would be sufficient.
  • Came back about an hour later, the temperature went up to 76 degrees. ARGH..
  • That old school brown no name 50 watt submersible heater would have heated the 1 gallon to 80 degrees in probably less than 1-2 minutes.
  • Within 10 seconds of plugging that brown heater in, the surface of the glass was at least 150 degrees & it was only using 44 watts of electricity.
This mini heater looks like a copycat version of the 25W VisiTherm heater I own.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

precut holes...?
they're the asian plug.... I cant remember which country. Japan's plugs do not have holes and also do not have the one side that is slightly larger than the other.

Shipping does take a long time. about three weeks.

This one heats slowly. it doesnt get hot at all.
My red betta sat on it the entire time it was heating a half gallon from 20C to 30C. no temperature shocks either :)

You have no idea how skeptical I was when I bought this. In Australia, I had this and a hagen elite 100w. I for one could not say which one was better.