Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Clamped and lethargic betta?

So, Buddha has been doing VERY well so far. He had a fin rot problem, which I swore was healing nicely, but I noticed that the edge of Caudal fin isn't getting any better. It's still black, and somewhat see through.

Well, today around 2-3pm, I went into the room, and Buddha was flaring like crazy. I figured it was just his daily thing, so I let it slide. However, I just cleaned his tank, and realized that he's clamped up, and prior to getting cleaned, he didn't move in the tank. He kinda just floated in the middle of the tank, something he never does. He always drops to the bottom when he sleeps, never at the top.

The tank is at the right temperature (was before AND after the cleaning), has water conditioner in it, and AQ salt. His tank was cleaned two days ago, which is normal, and water conditions are perfect (except the softness level). He is not bloated, and there is no color change.

There were these 3 white things in the tank, looking almost like little spider webs, but I don't know if that is anything important.

Does anyone think they could help? :/

Oh! I also have a bamboo stalk in there, so if anyone thinks that could be affecting the water, please let me know! D:
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:48 AM   #2 
TheCheese909

The "Lucky Bamboo" supposedly isn't an actual aquatic plant. It's not supposed to be fully or mostly submerged in water and apparently if it is for too long the inside will start to rot and it messes up the water.

You can try taking him out for a day or so and change his water again and let it sit for the time he's out. If you do, I would rinse his whole tank with hot water including decor. I've seen what looks similar to.... white.. mucus or snot? I guess is what it looked like, in one of my tanks before but my fish at the time had gotten sick and bloated and had a bunch of other problems.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #3 
deso

The white cobweb-looking things may be hair algae. My driftwood gets it from time to time. It's completely harmless, just ugly as sin.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
The "Lucky Bamboo" supposedly isn't an actual aquatic plant. It's not supposed to be fully or mostly submerged in water and apparently if it is for too long the inside will start to rot and it messes up the water.
He's actually better now, but if he gets like that again today, I'll definitely do what you said. And I was thinking the bamboo wasn't going to work, but now I don't have anything to put it in, so I'm a little stuck -.-
Do you know when I'll be able to spot the bamboo rotting? I want to be wary of when it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
The white cobweb-looking things may be hair algae. My driftwood gets it from time to time. It's completely harmless, just ugly as sin.
ewww D:
Old 07-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #5 
TheCheese909

I honestly don't know. But I think if you have a large stock that's mostly out of water instead of a short one that is fully submerged you should be okay.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

Yea, mine is currently being lifted higher out of the tank thanks to the marbles I placed in the grass. Now, half of the bamboo is out of the water, and the other half is submerged.

My mom is getting another bamboo stalk when we go shopping soon, and we are going to most likely place the stalk in the porcelin container.