Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #1 
JessSH

Unhappy Poison or something else?

Sorry this is so long! I wanted to make sure all the details are here. Iíve had Stellar for almost 4 months & heís always been really healthy until Saturday. Friday evening I did a 100% water change, switched his gravel to aquarium sand, added a ceramic (aquarium safe) cave & put in a new filter. I cleaned everything with very hot water only, before putting it in his tank. When I put him back in he was doing great, swimming & exploring everything. The next morning (about 12 hrs later) he was in bad shape. He was lying on the bottom of the tank, had no interest in food, clamped fins, lethargic & only moved a bit when I netted him so I could do a water change. He also seemed to have trouble breathing last night & would open & close his mouth in time with his gills moving. I put the exact same stuff in Herc's tank & he's doing great, so I'm not sure its the decor. My sister has been taking care of Stellar for me the past couple weeks & she said she didn't fast him, so I'm hoping it's could be constipation. I donít know when he last pooped, but I donít think heís done it since Friday evening. Since the sand is white, Iím sure Iíd notice it. I want to say heís bloated because it seems like the upper half of his body is a little larger than normal, but Iím not sure he actually is.

On Saturday, I did a 50% water change & covered his tank with a towel because I thought it might be stress. Sunday I did a 100% water change, rinsed the sand in scalding hot water (so hot that even though I was wearing dish gloves, I still got a first degree burn on my finger), took out the 2 little Anubias plants, the filter & his cave, & just left sand & the heater. I filled it with about 3.5 inches of water so he could get to the surface without too much effort & again covered his tank with a towel. I treated the water with a double dose of Stress Coat+ & VitaChem. He seems to be doing a tad bit better today. Heís starting to slowly swimming around sometimes. I donít think the filter caused him stress, he was in a 20 gallon tank with a filter in the LFS when I bought him, plus I had a small filter in his tank until it broke. He always LOVED playing by the filter where the water comes out. Iím really worried about him, so pls help!!! The first pic is how he normally is, second is from last night.

-Could something I added to the tank cause this?
-Should I toss the plants & cave just in case? What about the filter?
-Could constipation be the issue & itís just a coincidence it happened with the new dťcor?
-Any ideas on what this is or how to treat it?
-Should I go ahead & add Epsom Salt in case he is constipated? How to dose the Epsom, is it the same dosing as aquarium salt?
-Should I do a 100% water change today? I don't want to stress him by changing it, but I think the benefit of changing it is worth a little stress.
-Any other suggestions?

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.75 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, just bought Tom mini internal filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 Anubias plants, currently out of the tank

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets. Twice a day, fast Sat.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% every other day, 100% once a week.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? SeaChem Prime (just got VitaChem & will be added from now on)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 (testing every 12 hrs)
Didnít test others

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Duller colors, clamped fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Very lethargic, not eating, lying on bottom of tank, possibly trouble breathing
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Sat morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Water changes daily, covered tank with towel for darkness, kept room quiet, rinsed sand & tank, removed all dťcor, treated water with double dose of stress coat+ & added VitaChem (stopped SeaChem for now), fasting since Sat.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? LFS said he lived in a vase with the plant for most of his life & had to be nursed back to health before he could be sold. (I'll hold my rant about vases )
How old is your fish (approximately)? LFS said probably 3-4 yrs. Only had him 4 months
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #2 
JessSH

Pics didnt upload on the first post for some reason...
Attached Images

JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Sorry I can`t really offer any advice but I sure hope your Betta gets to feeling better soon, sounds like your doing a great job taking care of him. I am new to Betta keeping only had mine for 2 months and he is my first fish ever. It breaks my heart any time I read about a sick Betta they are such a delight to own ! I am sure someone will come along soon with some good advice for you. Best of wishes for you and your little guy !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #4 
Aahnay

what kind of sand? and did you rinse in non-chlorinated water before putting in tank?

Some say, some fine grain sand can cut them, others say that all fine grain sand, purchased today in shops, is polished, er rounded and wont cut them. Only the ... um ... shoot im tired, cant remember the name of it, but its used in cement, etc. will cut them.

Then some say not to use a fine sand, as Bettas can eat it. I doubt that happened, but just wanted to add it.

Test all the parameters.

Good luck, perhaps he is getting better.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote