Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #1 
cjconcepcion

DTHM M x CT F?

What would you get if you bred a double tail halfmoon male with a crowntail female? i dont know much about betta genetics so i was wondering if someone on here could help me out
also, the male is a metallic blue/green with a red wash, and the female is a green dragon, what colors would i expect should i decide to spawn them?
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #2 
lvandert

You'd probably get comb tails with the double tail geno. if your lucky one or two might be a double tail but I highly doubt it
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #3 
cjconcepcion

what about color?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #4 
lvandert

blue, green and red combos (multi colors)but most will probably have a red wash(I believe red is a dominant color). They will probably have some with a metallic sheen and some with dragon scale. But you may also get odd ball colors that are in the genes.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #5 
KadenJames

lvandert is exactly right, you'd get long finned offspring with poor web reduction, most of them super deltas with DT geno. IMHO you shouldn't cross two different forms unless you have a very specific reason or goal for your line. The outcome also depends greatly on the genetic history of the fish- are these pet store fish, or fish from a breeder? Do you know the genotype of these guys?

Color wise, it also depends on the history of the fish. Most likely you will get turquoise and steels with red wash, in combination with the poor finnage you'd have overall very low quality fish that very few people would purchase. :-/ have you considered starting with a sibling pair with decent form from a reputable breeder? Through selling offspring you'd be making more than what you spent in the first place.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #6 
cjconcepcion

yes, they are petstore fish :/ i have owned fish from breeders as well as a Thailand import. this would be my first spawn, and im not doing it to make a profit, im doing it for the "experience" of breeding, while i do not know the genetics of these fish i really like the form and color of both, and im really curious as to what their fry would look like :)
Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

A mess on the fins. Bad ray reduction, no DTs.

CT and VT are two that should never, IMO, be mixed into other tail types just because of their dominance.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #8 
lvandert

It might not work out but I totally agree with "testing the waters before you jump in head first". I've done a few pet store spawns to get the jist of it and then started going for quality.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #9 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjconcepcion View Post
yes, they are petstore fish :/ i have owned fish from breeders as well as a Thailand import. this would be my first spawn, and im not doing it to make a profit, im doing it for the "experience" of breeding, while i do not know the genetics of these fish i really like the form and color of both, and im really curious as to what their fry would look like :)
If you are wanting the "experience" of breeding, why not start with good stock to you can have the "experience" of finding homes for them???

Combtail and half moon double tail will just be a mess....

Good luck,
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #10 
cjconcepcion

okay.. thanks to all of yall for the advice! i might try a CT male, but ill see :) but just wondering what do you guys do with the fry that arent show quality, do petstores like petsmart and petco buy bettas from local breeders? i know i would have to cull a bunch of them, i dont think anyone would buy them if i tried to sell them on here or on aquabid