Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #1 
MissLyss1024

Question for those with divided tanks...

I'm setting up a divided tank for two male bettas. I'm splitting it with the plastic craft mesh. I'm concerned because with my tank, the filter can only be in the right side of the tank. I'm worried that the water on the opposite side won't filter correctly. There is no way to put it in the center. Has this proved to be an issue with anyone who has a similar setup?
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #2 
Kenny G

I don't have a divided tank but for everyone that I know who does the water filtering was never a problem. Since the dividers were made of plastic mesh it was not a issue. Just add plants and decorations to minimize the betta's seeing & flaring at each other. The only problem was how to make sure they both get the proper amount of food. This was easily fixed by turning off the filter when it was feeding time.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #3 
Maura

I have a divided 10 long. I've never had a problem with the filter.
Oh, and be careful that the divider goes high enough up into the hood to prevent jumping. Just a thought.
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #4 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I have a tank that I used to keep divided. One side was more still than the other, but I didn't have a problem other than that. I just put the "wimpier" guy in the side without the filter. I don't think the water wasn't filtered on the opposite side . .. there were no indications that it was, anyway. Nothing I could tell. (I did partial water changes in both sides anyway just to make sure the new water moved around.)

Last edited by mursey; 07-10-2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: spelling mistake/typo
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

I would think the side with the filter would be cleaner but I gravel siponed a different section each week to make sure each of the 3 sections did get cleaned of debris every now and then. SOmetimes I removed the fish, decor and then the dividers and siponed 3/4 of the sand. I have snails = massive poop machines so I do more gravel cleaning then is necessary I think
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #6 
thekoimaiden

I actually had a problem like this for a bit. Because of the way the hood was cut, the filter and heater were only on one side. I also had the Petsmart divider which has smaller holes than the craft mesh. There was a noticeable difference in temperature between the two sides. Maybe put the heater on one side of the divider and the filter on another to get the heat distribution just right. Other than that, just try to buffer the filter as best as possible. If you could angle the outflow towards the other side of the tank, that might help.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #7 
Ilikebutterflies

I just thought I'd add something. In my tank the mesh can only come up to the plastic lip. I have a regular light hood and now I have to figure something else out like putting a glass versa top under my light hood because one of my males jumped the divider and fought with my other male. He is currently in stable condition in the hospital tank but he was badly beaten.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #8 
MissLyss1024

Thanks everyone! I feel better now :) What do you all do to stop the fish from jumping the divider?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

I made my divider from craft mesh, and when I was done I had some mesh left over. I cut that into a "jump guard". It extends about 2 inches over each side and has little holes cut in it for the filter and heater. I should get a picture of it sometime even tho it's really unglamorous. But it's functional!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #10 
MissLyss1024

That's what I did! ^-^

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I made my divider from craft mesh, and when I was done I had some mesh left over. I cut that into a "jump guard". It extends about 2 inches over each side and has little holes cut in it for the filter and heater. I should get a picture of it sometime even tho it's really unglamorous. But it's functional!