Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #1 
Link592

Exclamation Freaking out! My Betta needs help!

Hi, I have a Betta fish and I love him to death, I have two males who share the same tank [A divider, they can't see each other but there is holes in the divider but there tiny, there is no aggressiveness or anything, no flaring...] & I had them for about a month now. I wasn't able to clean their tank for 2 weeks or longer because my mom was to busy to get me the supplies. So today my mom bought me Nutrafin Aqua + plus & a Nutrafin waste control > Nutrafin Cycle, their all 3 bottles & some betta food, my fish were eating tropical flakes for the month and it made them grow bigger [No bloating.] My fish are in a 1/2 Gallon Tank with a divider I think it's a bit bigger then 1/2 the divider is not really thick so it takes up barley any room they have plenty of room to swim.

So today when I got these supplies I went to clean their tank I rinsed everything out [Didn't use soap] and took my time, including the plants & gravel, divider. I kept my fin in cups and I put a small drop of Nutrafin Aqua plus in the water to keep them alive [They were both in two different cups.] When I finished cleaning the tank I put them back in & their tank. I think I added to much Nutrafin drops, On it's lid it shows the L to put and how much, 5mL treats 38L so I think I put in way to much Water conditioner!

Now when I went to see my halfmoon his frin was black and it felt like it was stuck together, he has 2 holes in his fins!

PLEASE help, I am freaking out I love my fish and my crowntail is perfectly fine & he looks so unhappy! Should I clean the tank again? I have no fish meds and only have table salt I cannot access the pet stores at the moment. He isn't losing color he is swimming around but slow he is active. What should I do? I don't want him to die, and kill him he still has years to go and I killed my poor fish? Him & My crown tail are my only fish down stairs we have a huge community tank.

My fish tank has 2 fake plants, gravel, divider...And that's pretty much it. I cannot get a new tank my mom told me I should of gotten a bigger thank but I spent more then $50.00 on my Betta fish their 1/2 was $32.00 + $2.00 tax & My halfmoon was $20.00+ and my crowntail was $12.00 My fish supplies were about $6 for all 3 bottles & for food $6

Please, should I clean out the tank? What should I do! And will his fins heal back?

I cannot really upgrade their tank at the moment since I live far away from a pet store & at the moment once I find a small heater I will use that, I am I promise going to upgrade their tanks I can't now the fatest when would be 2 weeks D:

I am new to the forums by the way, I was recommended to come here I really love my betta and I don't want to kill him, he is still younger I had him when he was small now he's 1/2 inches.

[I also have a thread like this, I am rushing sorry the other one in the wrong section! Sorry if I caused trouble.]

This is the exact fish tank I have, same color and everything.

Picture one1:

Picturetwo:

Picturethree:

I like to mention, I have the exact same thread as this, I didn't provide pictures last time & I couldn't log back into my account, I posted this again because my fish is really needs help and because I didn't provide pictures, he's still not better now I think he's worse!

I like to mention, I cleaned his tank out ^ Like the post says, after that horrible cleaning job I did I cleaned his tank out since his side was VERY cloudy & yellow looking, now it's clean and easy to see.
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

That's a tiny tank, even for one fish. Your fish has holes in his fins because you have 2 fish in such a small space creating tons of ammonia which causes burns in their fins. His fins have fin rot and they are "melting"
Find larger containers for them, there's many things around the house that could be used as temporary fish containers. Plastic bins (like for storing shoes), glass bowls, heck... even a well washed 2L plastic soda bottle will provide you more space than this tank.
You only need one. You can keep using the tank you already have (minus the divider) temporarily until you upgrade but you need to change the water 2-3 times a week.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #3 
Aus

Perhaps you could explain to your mum that it would be a huge waste of money if your fish both passed away from ammonia poisoning or fin rot. It's going to be really tough keeping them both clean enough for health in 1/4 gallon each, and will wind up costing more for medications anyway.

Your fish already have pretty huge signs of becoming ill, so start with following vilmarsv's advice above.

You might also consider taking the plastic plants out. I know that brand of tank, and the plants tend to be very spiky which will be tearing their delicate fins.

These fish need at least one gallon minimum each, changed 2x per week minimum, and each will need a heater because they are tropical fish which cannot cope well with massive temperature swings. That, plus decent betta pellets, is the bare minimum of care need to keep them happy and healthy.

Right now, you need to read the sticky on the diseases forum on 'fin rot', get your mum to read this too, as she'll maybe need to purchase some AQ salt and medications to cure them.

Really, it seems like a lot to outlay - 2 1 gallon (minimum) tanks, 2 heaters.. medications.. but it'll save your fish being unwell and save you and your mum more hassle and time and money buying medication after medication...
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #4 
Bettafunk

dude please buy a bigger tank
Bettafunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #5 
Link592

Okay, but is it fin rot? I found some 2 gallon tanks, 5 gallon tanks, 10 gallon tanks I am probably going to get the 10 gallon tank. But all of the tanks are $60 an higher, i'll be probably getting the 10 gallon with all the supplies & fliters, decorations..etc If not, i'll get the 5 gallon tank. But it's $60 like the 10 gallon and only has rocks, plants, a pump & that's pretty much it. The other 10 gallon that's $25 doesn't have a lid but does have gravel, rocks, plants, net..etc There is a 3 gallon that's priced at $100+

I don't want to get a big 10 gallon tank for just one betta, it wont be great in my opinion & be a little bit a waste of space, so does my Betta have fin rot? And is he going to die...
Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

That Tank is WAY UNACCEPTABLE for ANY organism..not to be rude but...
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #7 
Calypso77

I hope your poor guy pull through what ever he has.

As for tank size it may be on the smaller side but it's not a cup size at least. If that is all you can get then so be it. My guy is in a half gallon tank and fine. My sister has 2 Betta's in the same tank you have and they both are 3 years old now and doing great.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #8 
Maura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link592 View Post
Okay, but is it fin rot? I found some 2 gallon tanks, 5 gallon tanks, 10 gallon tanks I am probably going to get the 10 gallon tank. But all of the tanks are $60 an higher, i'll be probably getting the 10 gallon with all the supplies & fliters, decorations..etc If not, i'll get the 5 gallon tank. But it's $60 like the 10 gallon and only has rocks, plants, a pump & that's pretty much it. The other 10 gallon that's $25 doesn't have a lid but does have gravel, rocks, plants, net..etc There is a 3 gallon that's priced at $100+

I don't want to get a big 10 gallon tank for just one betta, it wont be great in my opinion & be a little bit a waste of space, so does my Betta have fin rot? And is he going to die...
Walmart sells empty 10 gallon tanks for $12. I was able to get everything I needed for the tank (substrate, a filter, a heater, a hood, plants, decorations, etc) for under $40.

EDIT: If you continue to keep your fish in an inadequate living space, yes, they will most likely die.

Last edited by Maura; 07-12-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Added something
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #9 
vilmarisv

Yes, that's fin rot.
Walmart also sells a 5galon kit for $26 dollars or so.
Search for "Hawkeye" on their website.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #10 
Link592

Guys the tank isn't the size of the cup, the pictures are zoomed in. I do understand you say the size is small, it's actually pretty small when I bought the tank I thought it was going to be really tiny, but when I opened it I was suprised how big it is, he doesn't have a plant giving him even more space, my crowntail lives in the same tank and hasn't gotten finrot.

I live 3 hours away from a pet store, I like to mention in Canada Walmarts, they barley carry ANY fish supplies. When they do it's just decorations & food. Again, I told my mom and she'll be upgrading my tank but I am still looking for a tank, the only ones I have found are 5 gallons, 10 gallons they come with a filter & all those supplies besides the 5 gallons it barley comes with anything and the person is asking $60 I also don't want to get a 10 gallon if only one fish is going to be living in that tank.

Will he make it through, and will his fins go back to normal? How can I treat fin rot since the space is so little?

I also have Nutrafin Waste control, Nutrafin Cycle, Nutrafin Aqua plus if those help...