Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Question Adding more fish....

I have never done a bigger tank with several species outside of female bettas and I want to have another species or two in my 20G. I don't want to overload the filter by adding too many at one time. What I want to know is about how many new fish can I add at once? Is there a general rule or anything. Im thinking its gonna be some type of cory and I know they like groups. Diamond tetras would be nice too but I was told I needed like 10 of them
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #2 
AquaKai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I have never done a bigger tank with several species outside of female bettas and I want to have another species or two in my 20G. I don't want to overload the filter by adding too many at one time. What I want to know is about how many new fish can I add at once? Is there a general rule or anything. Im thinking its gonna be some type of cory and I know they like groups. Diamond tetras would be nice too but I was told I needed like 10 of them
When I add a new fish, depending on the size, I add 3-5 more. I mean it's all up to the tank size and fish size. If I were to have a 150g tank and I was putting cardinals in there I'd do 30 at a time! However if I'm adding larger fish like a pleco in a 30g I'd only add him and no other fish at that time.

You want corydoras? What kind? If you go for any of the dwarf/pygmy/mini corydoras you could do 5-6 (the entire school) at once, but if you do the larger panda corydoras do 3-4 at a time. Also I would only do the dwarf/pygmy/mini corydoras, or panda corydoras, or julii corydoras would be good in a 20g.

The diamond tetras get big. I have 5 in my 55 right now and am adding more in soon. I'd do cardinals or harlequin rasboras in there or something with a torpedo shaped body and do about 6-7 of them with 6-7 of the corydoras with the bettas.
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You're planting this tank, right Tiki? I can't remember.
It'd help to know how well planted it is.
I'd put the betta in first, then the tetra, then the cories. That puts it in order of most sensitive to least sensitive.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote