Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #1 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Swollen abdomen (Getting old --redux)

Thanks to everyone who gave encouragement and solace in my "getting old" thread a few weeks ago. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ng-old-104954/

Along with general malaise, over the last month his abdomen has been swelling. This has impacted his swim bladder....that is he doesn't seem able to fill it. This makes rising difficult, so he stays in his plants near the top. He still eats and defecates, but not as much as before.

Is this just another sign of aging, or is there something I can do about it?
Attached Images

Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #2 
Silverfang

I'm afraid I don't have any advice, but I'm a similar situation with my eldest. I've had him a year and a half and he has such trouble swimming up. Instead of being bloated like you boy he looks like he has a point in his side (suspected tumor).

I just wanted to share my sympathies, it is a sad situation. As it is I plan on lowering his water level, that's about all I can think. (my guy gulps air and drops back down like a rock).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

I'd think, just lower the water level and add in another fasting day during the week to maybe help him out some more.

Perhaps a low dose of epsom salt might be of use to him as well. Try .5 tsp/gal and regular water changes.

I'm just thinking his systems are slowing down with age and it's harder to digest everything he's given. Might be a cause for the bloating bit.

What food is he on, by the way? Perhaps try switching to something with less fillers if you can.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote