Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #1 
zpirani

Unhappy Betta Tail looks damaged

Hi, i have had my Betta for two months i have noticed his tail has become smaller and ripped.

what is the best way to prevent this from happening?

what is the best temp to keep my betta in?
Attached Images

zpirani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #2 
Aus

78-80F = best temperature.

Have you got plastic plants in his tank? Those can shred fins quite easily. He may be tail biting (offer him some cover, silk plants -- not plastic -- or real ones, to help him feel less stressed). Or it may be related to fin rot, which is usually brought on by ammonia/cold water/poor food running down the fish's health.

Very clean, correctly warm water and a good protein-rich betta food will do a lot to help his fins heal.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #3 
zpirani

thanks a lot for your reply, in regards to the plastic plant decor i did have it in the tank before all this happened. at the moment i have 3 rocks which i got from a lake i washed them n put it in his tank. two days ago he had wiggled himself down under the marbles n he got stuck so we had to take him out. Could the rocks be the problem? or the fact that he got stuck b the problem? i also have a small glass frog orniment in the tank and a living Zebra snail.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #4 
Aus

How many gallons is your tank, is it heated, and how often do you change the water?

Betta fins are really delicate.. he could have torn them. Or it could be a water quality issue - or both. The more info we have, the closer we can come to working out the issue. :)
Old 07-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #5 
zpirani

tank is one gallon it has a light to heat his water n a filter i change the water every two weeks n put fresh water
Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #6 
zpirani

we also put liquid in the water that we got from the pet store + change 100% of the water
Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #7 
Aus

Every two weeks is wayyy not enough for a 1 gallon.

Fish pee a lot. This produces ammonia that they have to breathe and live in, which eats away at their gills, skins and fins like acid. This in turn helps diseases like fin rot get a hold of them.

A 1 gallon tank should be getting water changes at least 3 x per week, with a good water conditioner like a drop or two of Seachem's Prime to help remove toxins.

The light might not be keeping his temp stable enough, either - have you got a thermometer, to test it for how cold it gets at night? Is the light running 24/7? If not, this could be contributing to his fin issue. If it is running 24/7 (to keep the heat more stable) that could be causing him stress.

I guess the simplest treatment I can think of is the one I already mentioned - but if you splash out on a 2.5 gallon or more, so you can fit a decent adjustable mini heater in it, and do more frequent water changes with a good water conditioner, this will probably help him heal really fast and avoid disease (I can't see fin rot on him.. )

Some soft silk plants might help him feel more secure, too.. burying themselves in rocks is sign they're too cold/too stressed.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #8 
lvandert

you might want to be changing the water in there every other day. A one gallon builds ammonia pretty fast and can be causing the distress for him to bite his tail
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #9 
zpirani

nutrafin betta plus is what i put in the wTer
Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #10 
zpirani

thanks so much guys!!