Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #21 
Sivan

Here is a good tip for your betta:

1. If you can, buy him a larger tank. It will help make the ammonia less concentrated and mean less water changes for you.

2. Even if you cannot, do a 100% water change for your fish. Make sure you scrub everything thoroughly from the tank walls to the gravel and decor. Do NOT use soap and make sure to slowly acclimate him to the new tank temperature.

3. Monitor your fish for a few days. He may be suffering from poor water conditions or some other problem related to the tank set up. Make sure he only has silk plants, a heater, and safe hiding caves that have openings larger than a quarter or else he may get stuck and hurt himself.

4. Keep regular changes each day. After a while he should perk up.

As for keeping him healthy, I recommend buying a water test kit so you can make sure his ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are not too high. Also, get a good conditioner like stress coat from API or Prime from Seachem. Give him a regular schedule and nutritious food that has at least 38% crude protein. I recommend pellet form so that the food does not pollute the water as much and because freeze dried food can cause constipation and bloat.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #22 
megacoolguy10

Is it suffering from fin rot?
megacoolguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #23 
Aus

datniggastuff, you're better off making your own thread, rather than using someone else's.

zpiriani, basically bettas do great with warm water and good food (omega one pellets look good, I aim to try those), and as long they are not exposed to ammonia. Throw him a live mosquito or blood worm a couple times per week, he'll love it and a little extra protein won't hurt him. Flakes are not great, they increase ammonia and most don't have enough protein for bettas.

And make sure your tank has a lid. Bettas are great at jumping, you'll see a lot of 'oh no, he jumped' threads here..

See how he goes. If his fins don't repair rapidly with just clean water and good food, please do get back to the forum as there's other stuff you can do to help. But try the simplest things first. :)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #24 
zpirani

my fishy is active just the tsil looked different so i got scared i have a water thermometer and the water is 80F temp
zpirani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #25 
zpirani

Unhappy tail seems to look worse !!!!

I dont know what is wrong but the tail of my beautiful Elmo seems to look worse that what it was before. Temp of water is at 80F there is a thermometer and a heater in the tank the water is clean and fishy is happy n swimming n making bubbles. I put Bettafix (medicine) in the water and Nutrafin as well. I dont know why the tail just keeps getting worse ??? he made lots of bubbles yesterday i am unsure if he is tail biting? SOMEONE HELP PLEASE !!!

Regards

PariZi
Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #26 
tara41192

Make sure you constantly change the water it might help otherwise it will turn into an infection.
tara41192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #27 
zpirani

i change all the water every 2 days i just changed it on wednesday
Old 07-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #28 
lvandert

new picture? is it black around the edges or does it look ripped?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #29 
zpirani

just looks ripped not black
Old 07-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #30 
lvandert

Its not fin rot then. Your keeping up with the water changes which is good, it'll keep that away. This means he's biting his tail or catching it on an ornament. What do you have for decorations and such?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote