Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #1 
Noush

Do you bury your dead bettas ?

What do you do when your betta dies ?
Noush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #2 
Aus

Mine is literally pushing up daisies.

As I have no intention of introducing diseases to Australia's waterways by flushing dead fish down the loo, all ours go under the purple daisy bush. It's kind of nice to have a proper funeral, anyhow. Plus, the daises sure are loving the extra fertilizer.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #3 
registereduser

I haven't had one die yet, hopefully not for a good long time, but I would put them into the veggie garden. I put my old aquarium water in the garden, too.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #4 
DragonFish

The idea of just flushing my beloved pets never really sat well with me anyway, I've always buried mine. In our old house we had property, and there was a little pet graveyard that the daughter of the person who had the house before us made for her birds; I buried all my fish there. I was quite sad when we had to move because of that.
Here in our new house, we have several lovely garden areas with lots of flowers and bushes, I plan to bury any of my boys who pass away there.

Ideally though, as strange as I'm sure it may sound, I would have liked/like to cremate my fish....because I'm a geek and would like to send my pets off with a 'Jedi Burial' xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #5 
lillyandquigly

you could cremate them, just light em on fire and get the ashes:)
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #6 
lelei

I would bury to give proper funeral..I dread the day..but I would honer their memory with a burial:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #7 
PaintingPintos

We have a designated "Pet Cemetery" in our backyard near a really cool vintage boat trailer.... Each animal is buried there and we find a rock to put on top of it. Only 2 animals have their initials carved onto the rocks, but the others we mostly remember who's buried where. I mean, some we've forgotten, but now they're part of the Earth and they are literally part of the grasses and wildflowers that grow there. It's really nice to be able to go to the yard and just look at and remember the memories you had.
The only animal who is buried in our house was my baby Fantail named Jellybean. He lived with my giant Comet for a week until we went on vacation. When we came back Jellybean was dead and stuck to the filter (no sign of aggression from the Comet) so we buried him in a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig potted plant we have near where the tank was. It's a palm tree and since the pot is so big we have room for several more fish...but hopefully we can worry about that in 25 years or so.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #8 
Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyandquigly View Post
you could cremate them, just light em on fire and get the ashes:)
That sounds so gruesome, especially with the smiley face... "WOO LETS SET SOME FISH ON FIRE!" xD I know you didn't mean it that way, but that's how it sounded in my head. :P

I haven't had one die, but I already have funeral plans. I'm going to bury them next to a wall that's in my back yard (I live on a hill) overlooking the lake and plant some kind of flower on the ground on top of them.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #9 
Laki

You bury your cats, dogs and children (if it tragically came down to it) so yes, I bury my fish. I only had Lakitu pass away on me and he is still in the freezer bc I need to find a good day to bury him. Bettas give us hours of entertainment, best we can do is honour them when they're gone.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #10 
lelei

@Laki Yes, exactly how I feel, If you flush..it's like saying ehh..they dont mean sh** and that isnt' right, this is a living being that you took care of, gave you something to smile for..and is a pet, like any other pet that is how you respect it..IMO:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote