Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

You see, the toilet is for pee and poo. If your fish gets flushed down, you're treating it like crap. ;P I already know where to bring them when they pass. I bury them outside. Not yet for mine, Lebron is still young. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #12 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyandquigly View Post
you could cremate them, just light em on fire and get the ashes:)
Lol, I'm aware its possible, however my parents find the idea rather ridiculous ;P It was a big enough hassle trying to get them to understand why I wanted to bury them instead of just flush them. I may be over 18, but my first/last attempt at fish cremation was met with much eye-rolling and a plain flat out 'Thats stupid you're not going to cremate a fish. its just a fish.'
Soooooooooo yeah.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #13 
Sprinkles55

I buried my first betta sugarplum recently. I feel like burying is just the best idea, and flushing them just sounds harsh in my opinion. It's not 'just a fish' to me, so they'll always be buried.
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #14 
Purple

Plus, you can flush a fish in a matter of seconds. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about accidentally flushing a live fish... UGH that gives me nightmares!! If you bury them, it takes long enough so you KNOW they're dead.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #15 
misty1477

I had a Betta many years ago that I buried when he passed away. I wrapped him in a tissue and gave him a proper burial in my yard.

Even when my only indoor/outdoor cat would bring me 'gifts' of dead birds/chippies/field mice, they would get a proper burial too. I would make sure my kitty was in the house so she would not see me doing this to her 'gifts'.

BTW....all of my dogs (Siberian Huskies) and kittys that have passed on over the years were cremated. I have their ashes in the containers on top of the armroir in my bedroom with their framed pics by them.

Yes...I am a total animal lover....always was.....always will be
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #16 
Laki

Cremation is so expensive here! I only ever had my dog cremated due to expense. I don't know if its different in the mainland or USA but I still felt better leaving my bunny at the vet for group cremation and all my mice, hamsters and fish and cat were buried somewhere (usually in a field).
I had to cremate my dog (cost me quite a bit of money to get him back), I could never do it myself with a fish though. I admire the respect you guys have to do so though.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #17 
Noush

Yeah . No one of my bettas had died but I used to bury my dead goldfish .
I cant understand this thing of saying "It's just a fish" or anything like that ..
I love my bettas . They make me smile, I love seeing them swimming quickly before their "breakfast" ... I see them as my own babies !
And what is betta love ?.. When my fish got sick I was a little worried about them even if it is only a fin rot ..
I have a flight next week and I'm worried about them even though my neighbors will feed them .
So now - Why fish can't get honored and be buried after death ? Why should they be flushed in the toilet ? Because that they're small animals ? So what . This is still a soul .
Noush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #18 
CreativePotato

I wanted to cremate my comet Ralph when he passed, but I never knew how to go about it. :/ I figured I just get a bunch of sticks, wait a week for them to dry and set up a little pyre for him, but searching around on the internet yielded claims that home cremations were smelly. I live in a condominium complex, so I didn't want neighbors or my mother to complain...I ended up burying him in a big pot of daylilies.
CreativePotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #19 
RandyTheBettaFish

I feel bad, but i usually flush. I don't like to bury a fish on land, it seems right to keep them in water to me.
RandyTheBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #20 
LaLaLeyla

I personally flush my fish. That doesn't mean I don't love them though. They're dead why should they care where their body goes? ( Okay that sounds mean x'D)
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote