Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #11 
Laki

Be careful with bugs from the garden! With so many people spraying with pesticides it's best to buy or culture your own to ensure their safety.
That's not to say avoid it at all costs. I never had a problem with feeding fruit flies I found in my home, but I know they haven't come in from outside. Frozen bloodworms, daphnia and tubifex worms are okay.
Live cultured worms are best.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #12 
MSG

So would you guys keep the genetically challenged one?

When I asked about the fish's weird appearance, I was informed it's, "Because it's young."

I didn't believe her answer, suspected it was some sort of deformity but decided to take a chance. I was going to get them for free anyway. The survey took a couple minutes to fill out.

The only thing that sort of bothered me was the fish were way too cheap. $1 each and the sale on female betta ends I think July 22?

I grow most of my plants in organic soil and I have a lot of culinary herbs that repel most insects. The insects that dare to mess with my plants get swatted and fed to the fish. I know the risks associated with the pesticides but I think it's worth the risk. I get rid of a pest insect and they get a fantastic snack whenever I go out to the garden.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #13 
lvandert

If she swims fine and eats fin I would give her a good home. Anyone else will just kill her off.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #14 
FrostSinth

I have two girls with the first girl's color, I've always been curious about their color, I guess its some sort of butterfly pattern.
FrostSinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #15 
Laki

I think it's just called bi-color. But yes, keep her! Like Ivandert said, someone else might just kill her off :/
Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #16 
MSG

So if you were going to buy a betta & you saw

The one I have pictured, would you have taken it back home?

The rest had very basic to no coloration whatsoever.

Even with the little hump, it swims fine. She seems to prefer no plants in the water though.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #17 
Laki

I would bc I know her fate in the store would be death.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #18 
dbooknook

Definitely! I mean I wouldn't breed her, but just as a pet. I have a guppy with an interesting tail.
dbooknook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #19 
MSG

Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond.

I guess I will keep her. If she gets harassed by the other girls I'll put her in with the guppies.

Later on if I have time, I'll put her in with the halfmoon to see what he thinks. I can't get her to flare her dorsal fin for longer than a 1-2 seconds.

I would like to get a couple good pictures of her before I start the sorority tank introductions.

I think girls look better when they don't have chunks of hair ripped out of their heads from fighting.

If it wasn't for her colorful fins, I would have left her behind for someone else to take her.

I've seen some really deformed bettas in the stores, but because of the blue water I was conflicted because I couldn't make out the color, but observing from the top the spine wasn't too misaligned.

I'm just glad she's behaving like most of my bettas, very healthy appetite and likes to torment the snails.

Glad I got the $3 off $3 order otherwise I wouldn't have lucked out with the mustard gas colored female & little red one with red eyes and blue eyeshadow.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #20 
PaintingPintos

WOW you got a good deal!
What beautiful fish! I especially like the red one, very pretty.
It's a shame that one has the deformity, though. But it won't affect a wonderful personality :D
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote