Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #21 
BeckyFish97

That MG looks like a boy to me...not sure but it looks like the tail is still growing, can you see where the caudal is clear on the ends?

The first pic is a spadetail female, she carries a pretty nasty (painful) looking deformity!

The other female (certain female I mean) looks to be a common veiltail, with a hint of spade in her tail...not sure if that makes much sense...

I would keep the one with the deformity, with you she can have a chance of a happy life, others would immediately euthanise (anybody on here would only do it if it was necessary)

There may come a time when the deformity may become too much for her, at which point you may have to euthanise her, but there is also the chance that may never happen :)

Good luck with them all!!! :)

Last edited by BeckyFish97; 07-12-2012 at 12:40 PM.
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #22 
bettalover2033

Frst I'd have to say that your pictures are very nicely taken unlike many blurry ones I've seen.

Well the first female you posted that is A steel blue and red wash bicolor VT(VeilTail) Spadetails are just a different looking shape of VTs.

The Female with a brighter red color but some blue on her body is also a blue and red bicolor VT female. She is also very nice.

The last one is my favorite. The dark bodied yellow female is a MG(Mustard Gas) female VT female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #23 
Purple

Just as long as you never breed her and are prepared for health issues down the road, I think you should keep her. She looks like a fish that should have been culled. The pet store stocking staff probably hadn't kept a close enough eye on the fry, wanted to get as much money out of the spawn as possible, or they knew too little about genetics not to breed her parents, whatever they were. I'm glad that she has a loving home with someone who will care for her if she does get sick, instead of just sitting in a cup without any attention.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #24 
ravenwinds

The mustard gas is not! Thai breeders call that a yellow gold.
The colour of little hump girl is usually described by Thai breeders as devil...like a black devil...
They have a couple of other interesting names for colours but that black w/red is a great combo...if its more blue, then you have a blue devil, or as I suspect, a steel blue devil.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #25 
ravenwinds

The red is just red with blue wash, which is undesirable for breeding purposes (and showing) but I always thought it made a prettier fish!
Your fishy finds are beautiful regardless of hump and colour names!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #26 
MSG

Thanks again for the new responses

Mustard gas/yellow gold, both sound fine to me. I just love her color, she has a couple streaks of red.

I chose each one of these bettas because I like their natural coloration. I don't plan on competing them in shows. As you can tell by the bettas I've chosen, I like the colorful ones.

I went into the store for guppies, but since they didn't have any that caught my eye, & they just happened to stumble upon a brand new sale on betta females I picked out 3 bettas instead. They were the same price as the guppies.

I ended up getting all 8 female bettas in those photos for a grand total of $5.

I just hope they get along when I introduce them.

Still trying to decide the layout/design of their tank & which tank to use.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #27 
MSG

Just checked, the yellow gold betta is definitely a girl. It has a ovipositor. She's not going to get any more food for 2 days. Noticed her ber belly's grown quite large.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #28 
MSG

Based on the fins of the steel devil, someone definitely would have purchased her. Out of the 30 bettas, 2 dozen of them were the marble/pink/white/color spot varieties which don't interest me.

Those bettas remind me of these things.

[/url]
Old 07-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #29 
MSG

Purple - the petstore initials are PS = They don't raise the bettas. They're ordered from a breeder. The staff I think are only taught to discard the ones that are dead. Out of the 200 cups I've looked through, I found only about 2 are severely deformed & I'm pretty sure that was a PTC store. My little devil had a hump, but spine wasn't the WORST I've seen. Her long fins are the longest I've seen on a female. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong if any of you all are more familiar with the store policies.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #30 
bettalover2033

Actually the Thai have the wrong names. They are correctly called what I said. The Thai make up names and some seem to stick, but that doesnt mean they are correct.

Just like they call the true "Grizzle" betta a "Monster". According to the IBC, this is not correct and making up names doesnt mean they are the correct names or coloration. Also no offense, but we are not Thai.

Lastly, if you think about it, NO ONE really has a REAL MG according to this article:

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1256

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwinds View Post
The mustard gas is not! Thai breeders call that a yellow gold.
The colour of little hump girl is usually described by Thai breeders as devil...like a black devil...
They have a couple of other interesting names for colours but that black w/red is a great combo...if its more blue, then you have a blue devil, or as I suspect, a steel blue devil.
MSG, the yellow and black female is a Mustard Gas and usually these names are mixed up as such was demonstrated. If you feel the need to know the correct info, there is always research that can be done.

You have great fish and got them for a pretty good deal. I'm glad you have the deformed one. She seems to be fine. I dont think she will have any problems, but you can never be too sure. Just keep an eye on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Mustard gas/yellow gold, both sound fine to me. I just love her color, she has a couple streaks of red.

I chose each one of these bettas because I like their natural coloration. I don't plan on competing them in shows. As you can tell by the bettas I've chosen, I like the colorful ones.

I went into the store for guppies, but since they didn't have any that caught my eye, & they just happened to stumble upon a brand new sale on betta females I picked out 3 bettas instead. They were the same price as the guppies.

I ended up getting all 8 female bettas in those photos for a grand total of $5.

I just hope they get along when I introduce them.

Still trying to decide the layout/design of their tank & which tank to use.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote