Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #1 
Citrusy

How to clean after dropsy?

I have a 10 gallon tank that had 2 bettas in it with a divider. One of the bettas (Finn) got dropsy. I moved his tank mate (Angel) to a 2.5 gallon as soon as I saw symptoms so that she wouldn't get it. I heard it's highly contagious?
Finn passed away yesterday and I'm hesitant to just drop Angel into the tank they were in. How should I clean it? Will a 50% water change be enough or do I need to start the tank from scratch? I'm not sure of what to do..
Citrusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #2 
Aurie

I am by no means an expert.. but When I cleaned my tank after a bad bout of ick that killed all of my fish years ago, I boiled the gravel in an old pot for about 5-10 minutes, soaked the plants in a diluted bleach mixture and washed out the tank the old fashioned way with soap and a scrubber then used the same bleach method (I forget the ratio, but I think it's like 19/1 or something?) and then washed it out again with water and let air dry and Never had a problem since.

Keep in mind that doing this will most certainly kill your cycle and you'll have to redo it.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

The bleach method is the only method I use. I leave everything for an hour to soak and the rinse well. Then I dry, and rinse at a later date as well to neutralize the bleach.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

Bleach everything, and then wash it in a bucket using 5 times as much conditioner in thet bucket as normal to neutralize the bleach.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote