Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #1 
Eduka

What else can I try...?

First, sorry if this is covered somewhere, I've read all the stickies and stuff :/

I rescued two crowntails a few days ago and the one was in bad shape when I got him home. Neither was healthy, but the other is doing good now. The sick one is in a 1.5 gallon tank/bowl, the water is a steady 78F, I do partial water changes daily (no filter) and treat his water with aquarium salt...and he was treated with BettaFix when I first got him home.

When I brought him home, though, I kinda thought maybe he had swim bladder issues. He's lethargic, clamped fins and swims normal, but floats slightly sideways or straight up and down when he stops :/ This has improved a bit since I got him...the first few days he literally sank and fought hard to reach the surface.

I'm not sure what color he's supposed to be, but he's got a white/clear body with silver fins, which I think is just a really faded blue :(

So...should I just wait it out? He's getting marginally better...or is there anything else I can try?
Eduka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #2 
lvandert

bettafix is not always the most reliable medicine, unfortunately. Do you have a picture of the poor guy? Maybe we can figure out what all is going on and what is the best choice of action.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #3 
reggie oaks

I would try Methylene blue (MB) half the normal dosage [avoid excessive stress], in case the fish suffers from nitrite poisoning. This medication is pretty safe against this and other conditions. MB was used in human medicine effectively for many years. But use a hospital tank, because it may kill beneficial bacteria. And do not mix additives. Salt or MB, NEVER salt AND MB.

Last edited by reggie oaks; 07-24-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: forgot a piece of advice
reggie oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #4 
Eduka

Where would I find Methylene blue? I've never seen it before :( He could very well be suffering from some kind of poisoning. He was kept in a filthy cup for weeks before I got him. The other CT I got at the same time was resting with his face straight down into the rocks tonight, too. Maybe I'm just paranoid now lol

I can take pictures, but I don't have any way of posting them because all I have is my phone and I can't upload to anything from it. Oh, and the BettaFix I use on all my new fish because all but one came to me with varying degrees of fin rot :( It's helped so far...although I know Spike's (sick guy) problem won't be helped much, his fins are ragged, too.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #5 
Eduka

Hmm...I figured out a way lol Anyway, this is how he floats: perpendicular. He's actually sinking in this picture, not swimming at all.

BTW, sorry about the size. I'm just happy I figured out a way to post a pic :/

Last edited by Eduka; 07-24-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #6 
reggie oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduka View Post
Where would I find Methylene blue? I've never seen it before :( He could very well be suffering from some kind of poisoning. He was kept in a filthy cup for weeks before I got him. The other CT I got at the same time was resting with his face straight down into the rocks tonight, too. Maybe I'm just paranoid now lol

I can take pictures, but I don't have any way of posting them because all I have is my phone and I can't upload to anything from it. Oh, and the BettaFix I use on all my new fish because all but one came to me with varying degrees of fin rot :( It's helped so far...although I know Spike's (sick guy) problem won't be helped much, his fins are ragged, too.
Any petshop has MB. Its a blue liquid usually comes in a small flask with a dropper at the mouth. At some wallmart maybe you can find it too. Some drugstores and department stores have a pet section. Look there if you don't live near a petshop. MB is cheap, and helps for fungus and some bacteria and protozoa too. It may turn some aquarium fixtures blue.So think seriously in a Hospital tank.
On the other hand, you say that the fish is slowly getting better. Maybe salt is doing the trick.
Good luck and hope your fish get well soon.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #7 
reggie oaks

Not worried about this position

As you can see, this is a normal position for a betta, But I'm worried about the sinking response.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #8 
lvandert

does he have white flecks on his tail/fins? or is that just a play on the glass?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #9 
reggie oaks

By the way, this is my Betta.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #10 
reggie oaks

Unhappy scratched plexiglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
does he have white flecks on his tail/fins? or is that just a play on the glass?
It's the plastic. One of my tanks is plastic. I made a terrible mistake buying those pieces that scratch the glass to wipe off excess algae.. They don't strip glass, but plastic???? well you know the rest of the story.