cathnbruce

My betta has dropsy :(

Housing
What size is your tank? 20lt
What temperature is your tank? 26 degrees celcius
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 5 x neon tetras and 2 x albino cory

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari betta bio-gold baby pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once daily.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water ager and conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Hasn't been tested

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Scales are raised, redness around belly and fins, bloated belly.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 7 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, I put medication that the aquarium told me to put in his tank (not sure what it's called)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had new tank syndrome about 4 months ago.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 and a half years old.

So Bruce presented with these symptoms around a week ago. He is still swimming around, looking like he's having a good time in there. He's a very active fish. I was told it was a tumor by another aquarium and that he could live with it, however I decided to get another opinion today. I am hoping this medication will work...but going off other threads and by what the guy at the aquarium stated, it is not looking good.

Is there any advice anyone can give me from here. Anything else I can do now?

Here is Bruce today.
Attached Images

cathnbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:06 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Dropsy is not easy to cure and most fish die from it.
Here's a good article: http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/dropsy/
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi cathnbruce. He does look bloated all right. Have you noticed him pooping? Is he eating still?

It could be a tumor but there's a possibility it is internal parasites or constipation. Try to remember the name of the medication you used; it will help me if he needs further/different treatment.

One more thing; whatever he has, his age will play a part in how well he recovers. He's getting up there for a betta, almost geriatric.

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention. For your tank, I would do twice weekly water changes of 50% since you have 5 neons and 2 cory cats in there. Most people will regard that as overstocked; ideally, you'd want at least 38 liters for that many fish.

Last edited by Sakura8; 07-12-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #4 
cathnbruce

Yeah, I was wondering that too about constipation. I haven't seen him poo since before he's had this. The aquarium just handed me the tablet in a paper bag and charged me $2 for the tablet, they give me a lot of discounts and freebies there as I go there frequently. I'll have to go in there and ask them what it is. Bruce is still happily playing with his friends in the tank. (He thinks the albino cory's are female betta's... *whispers* maybe he's getting senile*).. He's been eating every day....impatiently waiting at the top, getting very excited when he sees me...swimming frantically...

Last edited by cathnbruce; 07-12-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #5 
fluffnstuff

I'm pretty sure my fish has dropsy as well, i just noticed it today, as yeaterday he looked normal. I read the article above and it suggested a salt bath to help draw out some of the liquid, I have aquarium salt is that alright to use, if so, how much do I add per gallon?
fluffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #6 
cathnbruce

I've been doing some reading, and I'm pretty sure you use Epsom salt for dropsy, not AQ salt.... I'm thinking about doing it too. My betta, Bruce is still going strong but I really don't want to lose him. He is a fighter, he survived new tank syndrome...he has to survive this! I hope your betta will be ok too
Old 07-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #7 
fluffnstuff

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathnbruce View Post
I've been doing some reading, and I'm pretty sure you use Epsom salt for dropsy, not AQ salt.... I'm thinking about doing it too. My betta, Bruce is still going strong but I really don't want to lose him. He is a fighter, he survived new tank syndrome...he has to survive this! I hope your betta will be ok too
Thank you I hope Bruce makes it too. Right now all I can do is monitor him untill i can get some ES.
fluffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #8 
ANHEL123

I agree with everything that Sakura wrote. Just want to say something else.
If fish has dropsy, or just bloated you need to use Epsom salt. Epsom salt for buoyancy issues, swim bladder problems, constipations.
But also important to really know the right reason. Sometimes if they bloated like taht it can be also internal parasites which is also possible to treat, constipation.
What color is his poop? A lot of time with internal parasites poop will be white , clear stringy wormy like shape. Check his poo. Also just want to let you know for female white poo is normal though.
If he has constipation frozen daphnia would help to clean out his system.
Sorry just read your post again i didn't see it before you didn't see his poo since he is bloated which is possibilities that he is constipated.

I would think if it would be internal parasites he would already lethargic. Not sure.

I think for dropsy it takes longer. I saw one fish that had those dropcy symptoms for almost 3 weeks before he got lethargic and stopped eating ,and died in 2 days after that.

Either way I would do Epsom salt see if it helps him to poop. And see what color it is.

So pre mix Epsom salt in one gallon jug for the right dosage. Pre mix 2teaspoons/gall . You need to put him in smaller container so it will be easier to change the water. You will need to do 100% daily water changes. Now you can increase Epsom salt up to 3 tsp/gall. Also don't wory using Epsom salt you can use it long term and it is safe for plants.

When you pre mix it shake it well make sure it dissolved.

Also not sure about your other fish do they have any symptoms. Dropsy isn’t contagious, but the Bacteria that cause the kidney failure in dropsy is. So I would do major water changes in your tank.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #9 
ANHEL123

fluffnstuff : The same for you find out what it is. I think make new post so people can see it.
How big is your tank, how much and how often you do water changes? I think water changes are very important to keep betta healthy. I am personally think the more changes the better.
Also picture would help.
Check for poop color and shape.
Did you overfeed? How much you feed? Why do you think it dropsy? Is he pine coning? Well if he is sick only one day it too early for pine coning?
But very important to find out why he is bloated? Is he?
Old 07-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

Also i found one post that someone wrote that treated betta with dropsy with Jungle Fungus clear and Epsom salt. She wrote that she added tablet of the medication and 2 teaspoons of the Epsom salt to a gallon of the water. She used mixture and change the water 2-3 times a day depending on how it looked. It took me 2 weeks of this before she seemed well enough that I put her back in the aquarium.

Again i don't want to confuse anyone it always better to find out why/what you treating for. You don’t want to medicate and stress out the fish for the wrong reason with wrong medication.

And sorry I don’t have a link I encounter that post long time ago when I was searching the foru. I actually even wrote that person with my questions aobut it. So I am not sure if it possible or not but that what that person wrote. You might search the forum and find it too. The post was from – callmeconfused.