Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #1 
sythka

Betta with weird bump on his butt?

Hello there! It's come to my attention that my betta fish has an odd growth/ulceration around his anus.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Roughly 75 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, 10 gallon power filter in addition to a charcoal undergravel.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? There's aeration from the under gravel filter
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He lives with three fancy goldfish; a ryukin, a lionhead and a comet.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits (12% Min Crude Protein, 6% Min Crude Fat, 2% Min Crude Fiber, and 9% Min Moisture)
How often do you feed your betta fish? I feed him daily. The goldfish eat some of his food, but he gets 4-5 pellets a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Monthly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Complete
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use Top Fin Dechlorinator.

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I am unable to test my water other than the pH, which is a perfect 7.0

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's been a little bloated, and around what I'm assuming is his anus there's a fleshy swelling. The swelling is white, and kind of looks cancerous. It looks like it came out of his anus.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? The funny thing is that he's totally normal and active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I first noticed the symptoms today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't treated him because I have absolutely no clue what it is.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, but I've only had him for a short time.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Judging by his fins, I'd put him at a year or a year and a half. I've had him since about April.

I just want to add that he's a regular veil-tail, but extremely large, plakat size almost.
sythka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #2 
lillyandquigly

you might wan to show a picture and talk to OldFishLady(she's an expert she knows all about bettas)
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

I'm sorry but your tank is terribly overstocked... Your Goldfish are coldwater fish. They could die in your tank. I suggest to get your goldfish a new home. Comets need an at least 75 Gallons to thrive. It's also not best to keep them with Fancies.
There is probably too much ammonia in that tank. Please rehome your Goldies. They also need a food based on plant matter...
Can you post a pic of your Betta? It would help us to help you.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #4 
sythka

Hi Lebron- I did a water change reccently, about a week ago. I realize that my tank is overstocked, but I change the water as soon as it gets the least bit cloudy. Also, goldfish can live in warm water, it just makes their metabolism faster, therefor more poop.

Here's pics for you guys:

This is the view from the bottom.

What he looks like from the side
Old 07-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #5 
lillyandquigly

hmm, I can't help you with this, but I'm sure Lebronthebetta can(I have a hunch they're more experienced then me;)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #6 
sythka

Thanks for trying, lily
Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Do you know how ammonia goldfish can produce? Especially with their metabolism much faster... OK, back to your Betta, I have never seen such a thing. Do what Lily said and contact OFL. And thank you Lily. But, some members here still know more than me. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #8 
lillyandquigly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Do you know how ammonia goldfish can produce? Especially with their metabolism much faster... OK, back to your Betta, I have never seen such a thing. Do what Lily said and contact OFL. And thank you Lily. But, some members here still know more than me. :)
You're welcome:)
Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #9 
lillyandquigly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sythka View Post
Thanks for trying, lily
P.S. it's Lilly(so with to L's)
Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #10 
noellezim

Looks like infection. Put him in a hospital tank. Is it getting worse? In hospital tanks you can treat him without the goldies getting the treatment. How I always treated my bettas no gravel sterile environment. Does he scrape around the bottom a lot? Could be inflammation. Hope this helps, good luck.
noellezim is offline   Reply With Quote