Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

Opinions on what to do with the fish afterwards?

I have a little betta hospital I am ALMOST finished setting up. I need to get a heater. I am going to petco and getting the fish that won't surviive (under petco care) and bringing them home to treat.

anyone have a creative way of treating them other than submerging the jars in a heated tub of water?

What to do with the fish afterwards? I do not want to sell them online, because my parents do not like paypal (or mailing fish for that matter)

How do I sell them locally?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #2 
magnum

Try setting up ads in your local newspaper (may cost). A cheaper way would to be setting up a poster with the bettas details and cost of sale. You should display these at a local pinboard or at your LFS and other pet stores (: just ask them first. You should also attach a mobile number people can rip off and keep!
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Eh no offense but its not worth it to pay for a fish and then rehab it only to not adopt it out. Most people in your area won't take it especially if they're breeders.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

You could post them on Craigslist and post them as local pickup only :). I think it's great that you want to rescue them :).
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Tip: try getting the fishies either ridicuously dirt cheap or free... Makes it easier =D And don't limit yourself to just store fish... owned and unwanted fish too The one person who saw what I did, told me she went out and got her betta all new and upgraded stuff (hoorah lol). =D

Anyways, Kijiji, or craigslist... Local pick up only. Try making posters, flyers, talking to people (word of mouth works great, 6 of my bettas were adopted within a week because of it!), even make yourself a quaint little website showing the bettas you own, you rescued, and ones you rehomed.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #6 
mattoboy

Im homing to get a tank all set up soon for rescuing bettas too. Im not gunna sell them off, just up for adoption. Good on you for rescuing!
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #7 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Tip: try getting the fishies either ridicuously dirt cheap or free... Makes it easier =D And don't limit yourself to just store fish... owned and unwanted fish too The one person who saw what I did, told me she went out and got her betta all new and upgraded stuff (hoorah lol). =D

Anyways, Kijiji, or craigslist... Local pick up only. Try making posters, flyers, talking to people (word of mouth works great, 6 of my bettas were adopted within a week because of it!), even make yourself a quaint little website showing the bettas you own, you rescued, and ones you rehomed.
That's awesome! I really wanted to get into betta rescuing on a larger scale than just my own rescues, but fishkeeping isn't really popular around here and I doubt I would have been able to rehome them that successfully.

To the OP- I really think it's great what you are trying to accomplish . Hopefully someday I will have the time to get into rescuing myself.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #8 
Pogthefish

These ideas are AWESOME, thanks guys! ^_^
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #9 
Aus

I agree with trying to get them for free (if they're that sick, they ought to be), or reduced. Because it's easier on you, but it's also less financial support for the folks who make 'em sick in the first place..

Cheers to you, for doing something kind.

Suggestions:

You could put a little piece of java moss in each jar when they don't need salt/meds (it hates that stuff) to help them feel more secure.

Make sure to acclimate each fish very slowly. As OFL explained in a post that really opened my eyes, the chemistry in those tiny cups is often what's keeping the fish going at all, given how much ammonia's in there. It might pay to ask her the best way to acclimate them.

Have you got resources for dealing with ich/fungus - ways to regulate the temp on those jars that may need higher/lower heat to help kill off those illnesses? They're the ones that most commonly hit these poor fish the moment they're out of the cup.

I was also reading that a little AQ salt right away can help with nitrate/ammonia poisoning, apparently it assists in clearing it out of the fish's system so the fish can breathe easier.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

Is there a college close by? Maybe you could put up fliers around there advertising bettas as great dorm pets. Advertise your bettas as healthier than most pet store bettas. And Sena's tip about the website is a great idea. Google blogger offers websites for free and they are very customizable.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote