Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #1 
rowansd

questions on grow out tanks

Still dealing with my surprise babies! They will be 3 weeks old on Sunday and I am getting confused about switching them to a bigger tank. They are in a 5 gallon tank know, and I know I have read they should go into at least a 20 gallon, but when? And since this was not planned the biggest one I can switch them to is a 10 gallon but I only have about 20 fry so I am hoping that will be OK? I think I should leave the bottom bare, but what about the water? Do I have to cycle it? Or since I should do frequent water changes, does that mean I don't have to? And do I start filling the 10 g with water from the 5 g? Should I keep my corner foam filter going when I switch them, or can I switch to a hang on the back filter, I have too many questions!!! But they have made it this far and I am really afraid I am going to kill them switching them to a new tank!!
rowansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Well lets get into the science of grow out tanks.

1. Space. Development of fish is very dependent upon how much space they have. A 5 gallon cannot successfully grow 50 bettas.

2. Water quality. That many fish in a small tank can lead to spikes in ammonia which will kill them.

3. Hormones. Fry produce a growth stunting hormone. With dozens of little guys producing it they can all end up very small and deformed.

An ideal grow out tank is 30 gallons. For smaller spawns a 20 gallon will do.

I generally move my fry at one month of age.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #3 
jeffegg2

Cool

An inexpensive way is with a storage tub. There are a lot that are 30 gallons or so. put a 100w heater and a large sponge filter with air pump and you are good to go.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
An inexpensive way is with a storage tub. There are a lot that are 30 gallons or so. put a 100w heater and a large sponge filter with air pump and you are good to go.

Jeff.
This. Very much this! Its cheap and just as effective as a big, fully set up glass tank.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #5 
rowansd

Quote:

Jeff.
This is a great idea!
Just want to be clear I only have about 20 fry....but I should still go bigger than my 10 gallon? Heater-check, foam filter-check. But what about water no cycling, how many and what percentage of water changes should I do once they are moved to the bigger tank? Before I move the fry, do I just use my regular tap water and mix in some tank water or something else?
rowansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

If you used your 10 gallon, the more water changes the better. Not only because of waste management, but because of the growth stunting horomone given off by the fry can alter how fast and how big the fry can get. I did 50% twice a day for my fry and he got nice and big, a lot faster than a previous spawn I had. I liked doing more water changes because it enhanced growth so much more!!

Moving fry you have to be very very careful and acclimate slower than say...an adult. I'd use the original water, halved with tap water.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #7 
jeffegg2

Cool

Now you are starting to realize the work involved.

I have a strong plastic trash can that I fill with water and heated with a 200w heater for aging water. I condition the water with Indian Almond leaves. About once a week with the big tubs and 29 gallon I do almost 90% water change with this aged conditioned water. the Jars I do every 2 days 100%.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #8 
tpocicat

Quote:
Now you are starting to realize the work involved.

I have a strong plastic trash can that I fill with water and heated with a 200w heater for aging water. I condition the water with Indian Almond leaves. About once a week with the big tubs and 29 gallon I do almost 90% water change with this aged conditioned water. the Jars I do every 2 days 100%.
I agree, a 10 gallon can be used for 20 fry, but you will have to change the water often with conditioned water.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Agreed! I have a 17.8 gallon tub I can use for my next spawn Try having a few grow outs - one for the slower growing fry, and one for those who are larger, if you intend to have the fullest survival rate possible.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote