Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #1 
thatbettagirl

HELP!!!! Is my betta OK?

So I got 2 baby bettas from Petco.
One of them seems to be doing fine.
The other one I thought was a female but then I saw a pointy-ish tail and thought maybe it's VT male. But now it's just really starting to look weird and overly pointy.
Is this normal? Is something wrong with him?
The first picture is before and second NOW.
Attached Images

thatbettagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #2 
Aus

Couple questions:

Is he in a heated tank?
What size tank?
How often do you change the water?
What conditioner are you using?
What and how often are you feeding him?

His tail is clamped. That generally is a sign the fish is unhappy, which can be due to poor quality, too cold temperature, or illness. Giving us that info above will help us work out why he's unhappy.

Looks pretty skinny to me, as well.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #3 
lvandert

oh my, yes you have a problem. I would start with a 100% water change. And start a stress coat treatment (dosage on the bottle for healing fins and scales) and some aq salt (Do not treat over 10 days with the salt) the dosage is also on the back of the box. I would also change the water every other day. Please fill this out the best you can

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #4 
thatbettagirl

I have him in a gallon planted bowl. No heater or filtration. I have changed his tank a couple of times because I have 3 other bettas as well. So I have changed the tank I think that might have made him unhappy also.
I have had him for about 2 weeks now. I have down full water changes twice. I also had him in a divided 5 gallon tank with another betta for a couple of days. Is the clamped tail contagious?
I use Tetra Tap Water Conditioner.
I have been giving him crushed Omega One Tropical Fish Flakes (Tetra).
Room temperature here is about 80 F currently.
How can I help him??
He has also been just at the top of the bowl panicking around.
I
Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #5 
thatbettagirl

This has been happening for about 5 days now.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #6 
lvandert

well the tail clamping looks like its due to fin melt, and if his fins looks at all like they have fuzzies on them then thats a fungal infection as well. the gallon bowl should have a full water change every other day so there could be ammonia poisoning. The first two can be contagious if your other betta has nipped or ripped his fins in any way (IE giving the infections a way into the body). This is a pretty bad case. I would do a 100% water change asap! and then slowly introduce stress coat and aq salt (dosage to help repair fins and scales will be on the back of the box/bottle). Keep this up for a full week, changing the water every day. If there is no change by the end of the week there might not be much left we can do for him.

Edit: also he looks a bit malnourished. I would get him on betta pellets right away, feeding two pellets twice a day
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #7 
Aus

Quote:
I have him in a gallon planted bowl. No heater or filtration.
What kind of plants? What substrate? Are the plants looking healthy?

Quote:
I have changed his tank a couple of times because I have 3 other bettas as well. So I have changed the tank I think that might have made him unhappy also.
Yup, sudden changes aren't great for bettas. Have you been acclimating him to each lot of new water or just plopping him in?

Quote:
I have had him for about 2 weeks now. I have down full water changes twice.
If he's only had 2 water changes in a 1 gallon bowl for two weeks, ammonia will be the main problem.

Quote:
I also had him in a divided 5 gallon tank with another betta for a couple of days. Is the clamped tail contagious?
Ivandert has a good point -- if his tail seems 'stuck' that way (ie, if he NEVER opens it at all) he could have a fin rot issue. If he can open and close it, it's more likely stress and that sort of clamping is not contagious.

Quote:
He has also been just at the top of the bowl panicking around.
How so? If he's looking distressed, it could be ammonia. Bettas do surface a lot to breathe air, but if he's looking really unhappy, it'll be water quality.

ETA: oops, I have bad vision today and didn't see the fuzzies... yes, Ivandert's very correct, it's probably an illness. Good advice already given on that..

Last edited by Aus; 07-11-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #8 
thatbettagirl

thank you. i just did a full water change and i am going to leave him alone. i hope he gets better. i will get the slime coating tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

Quote:
s the clamped tail contagious?
A clamped tail is not an illness but it is usually the first indication that something is wrong. For new betta owners, alot of the times - its bad water quality due to lack of water changes or no heater but it CAN be an early warning sign of illness.

According to Oldfishlady, even for 1 gallons - there should be only 2 water changes a week. However, babies give off a growth stunt hormone so in order to keep the level down maybe more water changes are in order? I had had very young females in 3 gallons before and they stayed small but as soon as I put them in a 10G they grew up like weeds.
EDIT: does he have a case of the fuzzies? That can be either fungus OR columnaris. If its columnaris you need to start treat with something like Furan 2 right away.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 07-12-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #10 
thatbettagirl

No there are no fuzzies on him.
The water I thought smelled a little bit so I did a full water change but this morning it seems like it has the fish smell again. Or maybe it's just me.
Does gravel go bad? I have had the gravel for a while now and I had the gravel sitting in a tad bit of water (it was still wet from the last fish I had in it before his upgrade).
Although I did wash everything in his bowl with very warm water.
And I have a bamboo plant in his tankk.