Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

The edge of the fins curling

Just curious, what does it mean? Buddha's fun often curl at the end, but are perfectly fine after awhile. o.O
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #2 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
I recommend going to a site like bettatalk.com if you can't find any help, I'm not an expert at betta dieases, but the people at bettatalk.com sure are.
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #3 
cjconcepcion

has he had fin rot before? have his fins ever been damaged from something like tail biting? fin curling can be the result of an injury and the fin just grows back that way, if he hasnt had any damage then my best guess would be the water hardness
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjconcepcion View Post
has he had fin rot before? have his fins ever been damaged from something like tail biting? fin curling can be the result of an injury and the fin just grows back that way, if he hasnt had any damage then my best guess would be the water hardness
Yea, he just had fin rot, so I guess it is healing back. :)

But the water is actually really soft, thanks to my water softener :3
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #5 
magnum

Spike has the same issue. He has never had finrot (as far as I know). May I ask also, what is water hardness? And how does it affect the fish?
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #6 
LittleWatty

Sonas has some really bad curling on a few of his rays, but I've heard that's really common with CT's in hard water - which we have. He's fine otherwise. I don't know what units water hardness is measured in, but I heard someone say it was about 300 (whatever the units are) in our area. In terms of VT's curling... it could be the same reason? I'm far from being an expert, so I really couldn't say.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #7 
cjconcepcion

Hard water is water that has a higher mineral content than that of soft water. its not harmful to anything, so it wont hurt your betta, but many people have water softener added to the water in their house (like me), because.. well, once youre exposed to soft water hard water gets really annoying :p soft water makes your hair less frizzy, makes soap wash off of everything better, makes your skin less dry, and keeps your bettas fins from curling
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote