Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #1 
Rosebud

Red face Cycling question (or reassurance mostly)

I started officially "cycling" my 5 gallon tank on 7/6, when I put in two shrimp. I have a Whisper-Bio Scrubber filter. I didn't have anything from a previous tank to seed it with.

I just got my Master Test Kit today, and my current readings are:

ph = 7.6
ammonia = 8.0
nitrites = 0
nitrates = 0

Is this about where they should be?

The reason I'm paranoid about this is that I originally used a "Quick Start" product recommended by my LFS, who told me I could immediately put in my fish and then test the water in a week or so. Well, within two days he just wasn't himself, was lethargic, wasn't eating, etc. When I used the little paper strips, it showed that nitrites were WAY up. I quickly put him back in the 1.5 they originally sold me, and did 100% water changes for three days, when he seemed to be back to his old self. I feel like I dodged a bullet on that one. So I want to make triple sure that things are going OK. I won't put him back in this tank until it's all 0's. It seems weird that the nitrites were really high before, and are at 0 now. Is that normal?
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #2 
AquaKai

Wait, are you cycling with a betta inside the tank? If so then take out the shrimp and do lots of PWCs! The way you're doing it is the fishless way, at least with the shrimp in there. If you tell if the betta is in there then I'll be able to help you better.
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

WAIT. ammonia 8.0- is that a typo?!?!?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

From what I've read the ammonia at 8.0 is way too high, especially for a fish-in cycle.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #5 
bahamut285

Ammonia at 8.0 for a fish IN the tank is far too high. You've only been cycling for 6 days which is hardly starting.

Readings of a finalized cycle should be

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: above 0

It took me around a month to cycle a 5 gallon tank with a fish-in. It would take a shorter amount of time with the fish OUT because you can pump in more ammonia for bacteria to feed on.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #6 
Rosebud

No, no, no. My fish is not in the cycling tank. I guess it wasn't clear enough in my posting. I started with him in it, then realized the product I'd been sold wasn't working and he was getting sick, so I put him back in his original 1.5 tank, and started to do a real "cycling" of the new tank.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #7 
Freyja
Banned

Ok good.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
No, no, no. My fish is not in the cycling tank. I guess it wasn't clear enough in my posting. I started with him in it, then realized the product I'd been sold wasn't working and he was getting sick, so I put him back in his original 1.5 tank, and started to do a real "cycling" of the new tank.
Ooh okay I'm sorry! xD you scared me for a second there :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #9 
Rosebud

Thumbs up

No problem. I scared me, a lot, when I saw how quickly Rosebud was going downhill. It was like within a matter of hours he'd gone from being his crazy self, to just laying at the bottom of the tank. He wouldn't eat for 3 days. I was sure I'd killed him by taking the advice of the local fish store. I knew not to necessarily trust the PetSmart and PetCo people. I have both near me, and have talked to people in both and they knew less than I did. I would have thought the fish store would know their stuff though.

So now I'm just wondering if my cycling is going OK. I guess I need to be more patient is all.

Thanks to all for their concern about Rosebud!