Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #1 
Aus

A couple of questions for Mr. V (or anyone else, really!)

Just some questions on betta types..

1. Mr V, you've mentioned that 'true spade tails' have died out. I almost purchased a young but mostly mature red female (but bought a VT female instead..) which was most definitely a spade tail type - no question, she had a definite spade tail. So I guess I'm just looking for clarity on that - do you mean the show lines vanished, or the type in general? And if the former, do you think it would be at all worth resurrecting the type, from the ground up?

2. Bit more personal: my large, very deep blue male plakat.. he doesn't quite look like the other plakats. Dorsal fin is smaller and set differently, and his head and mouth are -really- big even compared to other large males. He's super aggressive and very healthy, just a bit .. odd looking?

Wondering if you could give me a hand with figuring out what's what there. Sorry for the bad pic, he's nearly impossible to photograph as he's bulk active. It's too awful a pic, I can try for another a bit later.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

Well spade tails in general can be found however most are, in fact, young VTs. True spade tails don't have very long fins. They pop up in PK form on occasion.

Your boy is thick, big, and TBH he looks like he has fighter blood. However at the same time his dorsal reminds me of a show PK. I still lean towards fighter blood though. Perhaps hybrid.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:42 AM   #3 
Aus

Thanks so much! I had a feeling he had a bit of fighter of in him, for his size and huge gob - and sheerly evil temperament (he leaps a couple inches at my fingers at food time, flares at everything..) - so I am not surprised you think he may be hybrid.

Shame about the spade tails. I actually think they're quite pretty. And this little female I saw wasn't long-finned, my VT F's fins were longer - she was so lovely. I regret not buying her as well. Perhaps someone will resurrect the type one day..

Cheers again,

Aus
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote