Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #1 
carolinagirl

Rescued betta form evil walmart

Ok, first off I know that getting any betta from walmart is not right and just keeps the nasty cycle going but I couldn't help myself. Several were dead, one couldn't float right and the one I rescued didn't look any better. Manager gave him to me for free and right now I have him in a hospital tank with some bettafix (melaleuca main ingredient). Any advice?

Tank size: 1 gallon
No heater
No filter
Water treated with Prime

Pics will follow later. Right now he's just resting on the bottom and it looks like he's breathing rapidly under water, even though I know they swim to the surface for air. He definitely has fin rot. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this so I am DEFINITELY in new territory
carolinagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #2 
carolinagirl

Uugh, not form walmart but from walmart :/
Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hm. Well I see you're in Texas so it's probably warm, but what's your water temperature? Vital to healing fin rot. Also you should be doing 100 % changes daily on him.
If he's breathing rapidly I think that's a sign of high ammonia that was probably in his cup.. So clean water.. Maybe some aquarium salt if you have some with you.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #4 
carolinagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Hm. Well I see you're in Texas so it's probably warm, but what's your water temperature? Vital to healing fin rot. Also you should be doing 100 % changes daily on him.
If he's breathing rapidly I think that's a sign of high ammonia that was probably in his cup.. So clean water.. Maybe some aquarium salt if you have some with you.
Well since this was a "spur of the moment thing" I didn't think of getting a thermometer but I would guess the water is at least 77-80. The first thing I did when I got home (didn't even put the milk up) was to clean out the hospital tank and get him moved over PRONTO. But I am a little unsure of adding salts or adding bettafix. Right now there are no salts but there is bettafix in there with him. Also I think he may be young cause he's on the small end. Also, should I feed him or let him kinda chill out and get used to being in something MUCH BETTER?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #5 
JBosley

I have heard bad things about betta fix. Most people on here seem to use non scented Epsom salts! I'm not sure how much, so I would wait for someone more experienced...

I hope he survives!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #6 
carolinagirl

yeah, since my post i've been researching bettafix and the more i read, the more nervous i get. i'm pulling him out of that water and putting him in fresh water with some salts.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #7 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl View Post
yeah, since my post i've been researching bettafix and the more i read, the more nervous i get. i'm pulling him out of that water and putting him in fresh water with some salts.
Good idea! Hopefully with warm water, epsom salts and frequent water changes he'll pull through
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Epsom salt is good for bloating. ;)
A 7-10 day aquarium salt treatment is a good start, it'll clear up most unserious things, 1 tsp per gallon.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

Almost all my fish come from walmart, usually in bad shape.

First up - I would skip the bettafix. Many say its great but alot say it killed their betta. If you insist on using it, do NOT OD on it. The main ingredient can destroy their breathing organ. If you are using it for fin rot, I would switch to aquarium salt instead.

Do you have a tank with a heater? if so float him in it in his walmart cup.
If you have Amquel plus, I would suggest using that for conditioner. it's supposed to help with ammonia poisioning. If you have an eye dropper or turkey baster you can easily change his water if you keep him in the cup. I would also keep him in a dark, quite location for now.

For Aquarium salt - 1 teaspoon per gallon. Make sure its disolved before you add the fish. I use a milk jug to mix it up in.

Good Luck

EDIT:
I misssed the bloated part. if he is bloated then yes, use Epsom. it can be used for days on end. If you are fighting something external like fin rot then its aquarium salt and should not be used more then 10-14 days. it's 1 teaspoon per gallon for both

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-14-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #10 
carolinagirl

Well, the only thing I'm sure of is he has fin rot. But maybe he doesn't. I really need to hunt down my iphone and upload some pics. Right now he is in some water with Prime and aquarium salts. He is in a dark area of the room and hopefully he will start to feel better soon. Will see how tonight goes and will feed him in the morning or should I feed him now?