Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #11 
xfeejayx

First thing I would do with that kind of bloat is stop feeding him.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

Yes i forgot about it actually. Thank you xfreejayx :) Stop feeding him for day or two see if bloating will go away. Or may be feed less... How much you guys feeding them?

Also i was searching for that post about i wrote how she treated dropsy from callmeconfused. Took me 30 min to find it lol
www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=71052
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #13 
Sakura8

Cathnbruce, since we're not quite sure what the medication is, I'd suggest taking him out of that and putting him in a small hospital tank with the epsom salts as ANHEL suggested. My hunch, since you said tablet, is that they gave you a Jungle Labs Fungus Cure or Parasite fizzy tab and those won't have any effect on his bloating unless it's caused by parasites.

Since he's eating, try to feed him a high fiber food such as frozen daphnia or brine shrimp. This might help stimulate his system along with the epsom salt so we can find out if it's constipation or something else.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #14 
cathnbruce

ive stopped feeding him twice this week already. I currently don't have another tank, I can go out and buy one, but it will mean it isn't cycled...He almost died from new tank syndrome 4 months ago.

The tablet I gave turned the water a yellowish color....if that gives any clues...I do live in australia so we get different things here. Anyway I will go out today and buy the Epsom Salt, another Aquarium set up and heater... Bruce appearance/behaviour hasnt changed this morning. The other fish seem fine.

Last edited by cathnbruce; 07-12-2012 at 06:55 PM.
cathnbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #15 
Sakura8

All of this is making me suspect Bruce has a tumor. :( Usually, when a betta is that bloated but is sick, he won't eat. Bruce seems to be eating fine. :(
Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #16 
cathnbruce

I know but he also seems to be pineconing. Will he have pineconing from a tumor? Can you see the pineconing in the picture? I also have a question...
What are their poo supposed to look like? Last week his poo was brown and looked like a skinny worm about 1 cm long...is that normal?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Any time there is something internally that is big enough to push the belly out like that, pineconing can occur.

Yeah, betta poo should more or less be brownish in color and it can either be a long string or a little . . . ball. Someone once called them "cinnabuns." -___- So it sounds like his poo is normal. Poo to look out for is long and stringy but whiteish too.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #18 
cathnbruce

Ok...just went up to the aquarium (had to wait til it opened) found out that the tablet was Tetracycline. The marine biologist was there, he said to keep him in the tank for a week on the tetracycline to let them take affect and then put him in a seperate tank with the epsom salts... I brought a heater and I'm about to go buy a tank.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

Tetracycline API very good medications for gram negative and gram positive bacteria. I treated someone's fish with that medications before. But your betta not going to benefit from it. It not going to help with tumor or bloating or internal parasites. I would hold on that. You always can use it. Not sure why the store told you to use it.
I would do epsom salt.
Also could you find frozen daphnia?
Also i did hear about fish having new tank syndrome but non of my betta had it. And i do 100% water changes which means that i take all of them out of the tank all the time. So i am not sure about new tank syndrome. May be you can give him stones from his tank and he will feel better. And also if you will transfer him to hospital tank to do salt make sure you take time to acclimate him.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #20 
Sakura8

Tetracycline is a good med but sadly, its effectiveness has diminished over the years. Many bacteria now have a resistance to it. :(