Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #21 
Creat

Been following this and all I can add is what works best for me is adding oak leaves. You really cant over do it honestly with them the natural tannins really help them. It kept one of my females alive with serrious dropsy for over a week which was amazing. Best of luck to you!
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #22 
Sakura8

Yes, Creat had the miracle girl who survived with severe dropsy for like a month or more. Any advice she has, take it. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #23 
cathnbruce

ok. Thanks. So.. I can't find frozen daphnia. I've ran tests on my tank. Here are the parameters:
Ammonia - 0
PH - 6.8
Nitrite - 0.25
Nitrate - 5.0

I am about to fix the PH with this powder neutraliser stuff I have. Don't know why the Nitrate and Nitrite levels are up. Will change water too. I'm trying to get sticky tape off the inside of my new tank... kind of hard when you can't use soap. So, once that is off and I will set the new tank up.

I don't think I can get them in Australia, but I can try!
cathnbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #24 
Sakura8

Your pH is just fine, you can leave it as it is.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #25 
Creat

Thanks Sakura 8 :)
Let me help by elaborating what I did a little bit more.
What worked for me was to separate into a 1/2 gal container doing a water change MINIMUM once a day I shoved maybe 30 or more oak leaves into the water. The water I added also had been soaking for 24 hours with more oak leaves in it to make sure I had tannin rich water. Also worked the fish up to 3 tsp per gal of epsom salt start with 1 tsp per gal and over the course of a 1-2 weeks gradually up it. I had been treating with meds of different variety but with little response. Meds only really help if you can pinpoint the cause.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #26 
cathnbruce

Ok, I will go out and look for oak leaves.
I have just discovered a black mark on Bruce's head.
Here is a pic...
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #27 
Sakura8

For the moment, it doesn't look like anything to worry about. It could be him changing colors because his system is out of whack. He doesn't look pineconed in that picture, which is good. Means the pineconing must be localized in his belly.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #28 
cathnbruce

Well, he's usually blue ontop of his head. I've set up the hospital tank, waiting for it to heat up. I couldn't find any oak leaves.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #29 
cathnbruce

Sorry for double posting. Just doing an update. Bruce has now been in the Hospital tank with the Epsom Salts for about an hour. I really am starting to think he is constipated. Could constipation cause his tummy to be that bloated?? He's still very active. I am wondering, will the ES solve constipation alone, or is there something I can give him. I know people have mentioned certain foods, but they aren't available here. I can get live blood worms if they are any help, but that's about it as far as the real stuff goes. The only other stuff is pellets or flakes. I already feed him pellets. How long after betta's eat do they open their bowels?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #30 
Creat

So far it could just bethe bloat. I wouldthe try raising rhe temp a littke and dont feed for a few days. Hr could go 2-3to days just fine with no eating