Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #1 
kevinoh33

Can fins and tails grow back?

Can fins and tails grow back if there ripped?
kevinoh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #2 
bettababy

Yes, if the conditions in the tank are good. Very clean water, healthy diet, and proper temps... also seperating them from the fish who are doing the fin nipping... and yes, the fins will usually grow back rather quickly.
Be alert for any onset of fungal infections that may set in before the healing process is complete.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #3 
bobbysgrl

I think my fish got one of her fins ripped by the filter because she lays under it. I just noticed it today.
bobbysgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #4 
kevinoh33

What if the fin is ripped off almost completely? Will it grow back?
kevinoh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #5 
bettababy

As I said, if the conditions are right, yes... fish have amazing healing ability if they have really clean water and good food... and no stress.

You could maybe use melafix as a preventive, but I'd have to ask what's in the tank first... some fish can't handle it.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #6 
nkucharski

Injured Fins

I was wondering the same thing about the fins....I had 2 female bettas together with 3 tetra fish. One of the bettas was beating up the other one and nibbled away a lot of the fishes fins. I currently have them in seperate tanks in hopes that the injured fish gets better. I feel really bad for this fish. Normally how long does it take for the fins to heal?
nkucharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #7 
bettababy

If the fish is by itself, the other option, which is my first choice in meds for this sort of thing is a mixture of methylene blue and fungus eliminator. The trick is to avoid 2ndary infections from setting in. Honestly, this is easiest done if the fish is in a bowl alone. If you need, I can post the best med procedure done the bowl method.

As for how long... that depends on water quality, temp, and the genetics of the fish. I haven't had as much luck with the melafix as the other method, but not all fish can tolerate the methylene blue. If there are other kinds of fish in the tank, melafix is the safest way to go.