Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharStarr View Post
Thats a good point Aus, thanks. I think you're right and I'll get a heater as well.

When you say tethered, how do I go about that? Like just putting some under the stone to keep it firmly planted?

I think I'll give that sticky a look through as well, thanks.
simply use a cotton string or nylon thread to tie the plants onto the rock to weigh the plants down:) they will attach themselves over time.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #12 
Aus

I tie mine on with a bit of thin cotton. The cotton eventually disintegrates, but by then the plants have got a firm hold on the wood. Anubias and java fern both hate being planted in the substrate, and their roots will rot if buried.

Stem plants like elodea and wisteria can just have the stem-ends in gravel. Wisteria can also be floated, it makes a great betta-hammock and puts out lots of roots. When mine get too 'hairy' from that, I plant them. Wisteria apparently doesn't much like alkaline conditions, though, which is maybe why some people have trouble keeping it alive. It's often mistaken for water sprite, which has a habit of melting when mature.. so make sure to do your research before you go shopping!

Planted tanks are kind of exciting and plants can be every bit as addictive as fish. I love mine to bits. Got a 40 gallon starting up this week.. and tons of plants to put in it!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #13 
CharStarr

Aus - What do you mean by alkaline conditions?

Thanks everyone =)
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

I'll stop stealing Aus's questions :D sleep time for me! I hope to see pics of your tank soon Char!

@Aus - we're actually having a family trip down to Melbourne tomorrow! hope it wont be too cold!
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #15 
Aus

You're in luck, Aokashi! We're having an unseasonal lack of nasty freezing wind and rain (though how long that lasts is another matter!).

Char, when you test your ph, if it's above 7, that's alkaline. 7 is neutral, lower than 7 is acid. A high alkalinity (say.. 8.. that's pretty high) is tolerable for bettas if it's stable, but some plants won't like it.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #16 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharStarr View Post
Aus - What do you mean by alkaline conditions?

Thanks everyone =)

No problem And we do care - without being mean to the people who we should be caring about That's how I came to stay here lol
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #17 
CharStarr

Thanks everyone for all the help! You've given me a lot to think about, I know I want some live plants now for my tank and definitely a heater. I'm still thinking about which live plants, I'm pretty new at all this so I want some that are pretty easy for beginners. I'll have to check out that sticky again.
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote