Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #21 
qscoobs

Hi again,

Denim did not eat today. He is laying on his side now on the bottom of the tank. Should I let nature take it's course? or take action myself? I think it is time to step in as there is no real hope of recovery. Would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Thank you.
qscoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #22 
Sakura8

:( I'm so sorry it's come to this. You and Denim put up a fantastic fight.

If he is laying there, breathing hard and unable to surface then it will probably be a matter of hours. However, if you can't bear watching him like that (and I don't blame you at all), there are some methods of euthanasia that you can use. The most frequently used one is clove oil. It is used to gently put the fish to sleep. The fastest and most humane methods are blunt force trauma followed by decapitation. :( Those are the hardest methods to use.

If you need any more help, let me know. I'm really sorry, qscoobs.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #23 
qscoobs

Thank you for helping me along this journey with my first betta, Denim. He died during the night and I am thankful he is no longer suffering. Your guidance and comfort were invaluable. Knowing what to expect as the weeks passed was instrumental in providing Denim the best care. I sure did enjoy that little guy.

I do intend to acquire another betta.....but for now I just want to hold dear his memory.
qscoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #24 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry for your loss, qscoobs. But I am glad you didn't have to take any action and that he went peacefully. Euthanization is very hard to do. You took such great care of Denim and he was a lucky guy to have you. I'm sure his life would have been drastically shortened if it wasn't for all the love you gave him.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote