Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Talking I think the Betta Bug is finally getting to me......

Hey everybody!

Ok.. I give up. The Betta Bug has finally gotten to me. I know NEED another betta

I can't afford another big setup right now like my 10 gal, so i was hoping to get a cheaper but still effective and "happy fish" setup.

Here is what i was thinking:

1 large Kritter Keeper
Some silk plants
A heater (anybody have any ideas for them)
A small filter/???????

and a Betta-safe decor of some sort..

I believe the large Kritter Keeper is around 5 gallons.

So my questions...

Would this be a suitable housing for one male betta permanently?
How often do i clean the tank, and would it be a partial or full water change?

I already clean my 10 gal. every week, would i just do a 50% water change on the 5 gal. then too?

Also, would a moss ball be beneficial to the fish and tank?

Thanks everybody! I am dying to get another BETTA!!!!!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Yet another strike of the Betta Bug... My dad says it depends if I can get another one... -_- It already struck me since I first came. *sigh*
Yes, a 5 Gallon KK is fine. :) I didn't know about them until after I got my 3.5 Gallon. -_- I currently have a Hydor THEO that kinda doesn't work... I don't know why but it only works sometimes.. Anyway, I think you should get a sponge filter or an internal one. I've heard about the Marina i25? If it doesn't have a filter, you have to do a 100% and a 50% per week. It doesn't matter the size. Don't you have a Moss Ball? Yes, they are beneficial. It's a plant so it helps with the quality. Hope you get another Betta! :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #3 
Meggie6347

IME, the tetra whisper in tank filter (the one made for 3 gallons) is the best filter for bettas I've found. I have it in my 5.5 gallons (it's okay that it's only for 3 gallons because bettas don't have much bioload and the flow can't be strong anyway)...

The best part? It's like 10 bucks :D

And as for water changes, depends on if you get a filter (which I highly recommend)

Moss ball? Not sure about the benefits but I like the look of them I have one myself

Yes it will be suitable as long as the water temp is good with the heater and you cycle it (if yourget a filter...if not then just LOTS of water changes )

Last edited by Meggie6347; 07-12-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #4 
lelei

Didnt yu get a 10 gal? Yu can divide it:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Didnt yu get a 10 gal? Yu can divide it:)
Yes, Lelei, i do have a 10 gallon, and plan on dividing it, just not now :)

Thats why i want another Betta NOW haha

They are like potato chips, SO ADDICTING!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #6 
lelei

You could go for a 2gal mini bow, for now until you do the divide..U only have one huh?..I know..when I took in sapphire..it's funny one fish on each side of the room, and when I had just Sammy..I couldn't wait to have another one..I was so curious to see what different personalities they have, and Sapphire is a trip..he is a miracle fish..my rescue..(I posted new pix..did you see them yet? ) and if that is your plan..to take in a rescue..or you going a different route..

I would do it that way..or yea, the KK is fine, I had sammy in a kk..before I did the upgrade, and I did the same with Sapphire..

he's in a 3 gal now..but I am going for a 10 gal to divide for both of them, then I will have space in 2 more tanks..:)
Old 07-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
You could go for a 2gal mini bow, for now until you do the divide..U only have one huh?..I know..when I took in sapphire..it's funny one fish on each side of the room, and when I had just Sammy..I couldn't wait to have another one..I was so curious to see what different personalities they have, and Sapphire is a trip..he is a miracle fish..my rescue..(I posted new pix..did you see them yet? ) and if that is your plan..to take in a rescue..or you going a different route..

I would do it that way..or yea, the KK is fine, I had sammy in a kk..before I did the upgrade, and I did the same with Sapphire..

he's in a 3 gal now..but I am going for a 10 gal to divide for both of them, then I will have space in 2 more tanks..:)
OMG yes i saw those cute pics of him! Who didn't haha? I plan on rescuing one and putting him in the 5 gal. KK with a heater and small filter. do you recommend any heater for that size tank?
Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #8 
lelei

The one I am using now..the Tetra 2-10 gal, I like it, it's not adjustable, but it's does the job..and I have one in Sapphire's 3 gal, and I think the Large kk is 3.5 gal..not sure..but it would be fine:)
Old 07-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
The one I am using now..the Tetra 2-10 gal, I like it, it's not adjustable, but it's does the job..and I have one in Sapphire's 3 gal, and I think the Large kk is 3.5 gal..not sure..but it would be fine:)
Thanks Lelei! I think i might pick the XL KK then....
Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #10 
lelei

Did you see the video too of Sammy? it's on my F/b page, click the link..ooh, I cannot wait to see what new fishy you get!! I am exited for you:)

Tags
5 gallon kritter keeper, betta bug, large