betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #11 
Alcemistnv

I do hope you don't think we're being rude or mean, do you? o.o

I really hope you don't feel that way.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #12 
Calypso77

To be completely honest since I joined this forum it seems not just seeing it be said to me but also to others about their tank size. When that has had nothing to do with the question. I may be a little defensive on this but, I see a lot of tat on here, I saw one poor kid on here get told over and over she was basically not a good Betta owner because of tank size and that poor little one was a child. I can see if someone has it living in a cup and being very poorly with cleaning and such to be critical but some I have seen can be harsh. Not you guys in this thread, I know your offering me up good advice you have and knowledge, it is just crazy how some put people down on here for tank size.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #13 
TheCrabbyTabby

Well, you wouldn't like living in a space the size of a closet, now would you? I am not talking about a walk in, but a simple closet. That's the same philosophy I have with betta tanks.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #14 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso77 View Post
To be completely honest since I joined this forum it seems not just seeing it be said to me but also to others about their tank size. When that has had nothing to do with the question. I may be a little defensive on this but, I see a lot of tat on here, I saw one poor kid on here get told over and over she was basically not a good Betta owner because of tank size and that poor little one was a child. I can see if someone has it living in a cup and being very poorly with cleaning and such to be critical but some I have seen can be harsh. Not you guys in this thread, I know your offering me up good advice you have and knowledge, it is just crazy how some put people down on here for tank size.
I think what happens is that people just get really upset at stuff like that.
Especially considering some people on here are VERY experienced betta owners, and there are a few vets. Therefore, more than likely, they know what is going on. They don't want to see others lose their precious betta because the tank was too small and ammonia climbed up and killed the fish. :(

I also think a lot of people become...rude, I guess would be the way to put it, to more experienced people. This may because they "think" they know the right things to do things because it worked "this way" as a child, or they know someone who had things work "this way" for someone else. Sometimes, as much as you dn't want to hear it, it might be nice to just think about what is being said. :)

It's like going to a forum, telling people you live your great dane in a 10x10 yard, and then asking about buying another one. People ARE going to tell you that that is NOt sufficient room for the dog, and that they should reconsider. In that case, said person may go "oh, you're right", or they can go "I don't care. Answer my question."

It's kinda the same way here, I belive :)
But keep in mind, people want what's best for you and your betta ^^

EDIT: I need to go, but I do apologize if I did go off topic sometime earlier! D8

I wish you lots of luck!!! :D
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #15 
tanseattle

It is very difficult to find a healthy betta at pet place. Try to find local breeder and pick some from him/her. I was lucky to find a local breeder in craigslist. Check local craiglist under general, pet, and type betta search to see if there are so local breeder.

Also I got a king from petco before. If they flare and really move, you are lucky they are more healthier than other that do not flare or hardly move.

Also may call them and ask when is their next shipment of new betta and come a few days after that.

Also I saw new shipment was in the back most of the time. They want to sell the older shipment first. Ask store if they are new shipment in the back. Older shipment fish looks tired and sick.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #16 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Would it really be so hard to get a bigger tank? Honestly my jars I keep my bettas in while I am cleaning their tanks are bigger than what you want to keep a betta in, they are 1 gallon and $5 from target.

The thing is, we are not trying to be mean, we are trying to be nice to the living thing you are going to subject to a very meager amount of space. And no one is saying you need a 10 gallon tank.

But a half gallon? You can do better than that looking through your recycling, almost. It's cruel. If this were a puppy and you said you wanted to put it in a teeny cage you would think differently. Why is it ok because it's an inexpensive fish? Think about it a bit.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #17 
TheCrabbyTabby

Now to be the bad guy here, but keeping a betta in such a tiny tank to rot in its own filth is the equivalent of keeping a chihuahua in a small dog crate with the floor caked heavily in urine and feces for the duration of its life.

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 07-13-2012 at 04:51 AM.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #18 
Calypso77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
Would it really be so hard to get a bigger tank? Honestly my jars I keep my bettas in while I am cleaning their tanks are bigger than what you want to keep a betta in, they are 1 gallon and $5 from target.

The thing is, we are not trying to be mean, we are trying to be nice to the living thing you are going to subject to a very meager amount of space. And no one is saying you need a 10 gallon tank.

But a half gallon? You can do better than that looking through your recycling, almost. It's cruel. If this were a puppy and you said you wanted to put it in a teeny cage you would think differently. Why is it ok because it's an inexpensive fish? Think about it a bit.
Up here in Canada they don't have many in between tanks the right size, either it's this for $16 or 3 1/2 gal for $45 and up from there. The prices and availability here sucks.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #19 
ao
TFK Moderator

I wont join in the tank size thing. but here is the best way to make your half gallon work well. invest in a small Java fern or java moss for your 1/2 gallon. then get a plant like a lucky bamboo with clean roots. This set up will keep ammonia at almost zero.

This heater for $6 on ebay, can heat a 1/2 gallon effectively. I've tested and tried this.

this was my half gallon set up for my juvies

This is the new 2.5 gallons one of them will be housed in.

As for the betta, buy one that reacts to you positively. I like to runmy fingers outside their cups and choose from those who follows my fingers. These are the easiest to train.

I've also managed before to make a 1 gallon Jar look pretty :) I gave it a turn table for 360degrees viewing. for light a 23w 6500k cfl bulb.

Just some suggestions ;)

Last edited by ao; 07-13-2012 at 06:55 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #20 
Aus

Aokashi, those little marina tanks -- what's that bit on top where the bamboo leaves are?

I'd probably use those for shrimp tanks. They all look very good, love the 2.5!

And of course, I am a fan of your jars!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote