Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #21 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Aokashi, those little marina tanks -- what's that bit on top where the bamboo leaves are?

I'd probably use those for shrimp tanks. They all look very good, love the 2.5!

And of course, I am a fan of your jars!
Lol, thanks!

I was thinking of a shrimp tank too! but i get too obsessed with my tanks, AND distracted, that I think I'll just keep them in storage as some kind of back up. :P. or pretty pot plant holders since they are wall mountable.

the top is a clear container to maintain humidity and prevent jumping. it also doubles as a container for the fishies during WCs, or sometimes as a spare container to put the plants in when I'm doing a gravel vaccum :) In addition they make great photograph tanks :D My favorite $3 investments. If I dont have the bamboos in I can use the container's lids as a more elegant tank cover :)

got them Here
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #22 
Calypso77

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I wont join in the tank size thing. but here is the best way to make your half gallon work well. invest in a small Java fern or java moss for your 1/2 gallon. then get a plant like a lucky bamboo with clean roots. This set up will keep ammonia at almost zero.

This heater for $6 on ebay, can heat a 1/2 gallon effectively. I've tested and tried this.

this was my half gallon set up for my juvies

This is the new 2.5 gallons one of them will be housed in.

As for the betta, buy one that reacts to you positively. I like to runmy fingers outside their cups and choose from those who follows my fingers. These are the easiest to train.

I've also managed before to make a 1 gallon Jar look pretty :) I gave it a turn table for 360degrees viewing. for light a 23w 6500k cfl bulb.

Just some suggestions ;)
Thanks so much Hun, appreciate it. :)
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #23 
BETTACHKALOVE

If you but live plant quarantine it because a lot of plants can carry disease.
Also one time i saw someone had bamboo and it had so much of the rots that i was afraid that betta can stuck in it. So if you have it i guess cover all those rots with the stones.

About plant disinfection. Put them in tap water NO conditioner for 2-3 weeks.Wistria will die but sword and java fern lived.
Also you wrote that you are disinfecting the tank. Are you disinfecting anything else in the tank?

Good luck with your new fish, give us update.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #24 
teeneythebetta

Make sure the betta isn't bloated, not pineconing, and its eyes are not overly large. Also at least some activity is a good sign.

Also a good environment for them (heated tank that is cleaned often, accordingly based on size) will prevent you from making the betta sick.

Good luck, I'm sorry about your guy's passing.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #25 
Calypso77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
If you but live plant quarantine it because a lot of plants can carry disease.
Also one time i saw someone had bamboo and it had so much of the rots that i was afraid that betta can stuck in it. So if you have it i guess cover all those rots with the stones.

About plant disinfection. Put them in tap water NO conditioner for 2-3 weeks.Wistria will die but sword and java fern lived.
Also you wrote that you are disinfecting the tank. Are you disinfecting anything else in the tank?

Good luck with your new fish, give us update.
No, I just disinfected the tank itself, I had nothing else in there with him.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #26 
teeneythebetta

Oh no, nobody is trying to be rude regarding the tank size. Majority of betta owners do not realize how happy and healthy their betta would be in a 2.5 gal + heated tank. We try to educate those around us about a good betta environment.

My betta is alone in a 10 gallon heated filtered tank and I've never seen a more active, lively betta.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #27 
Calypso77

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Oh no, nobody is trying to be rude regarding the tank size. Majority of betta owners do not realize how happy and healthy their betta would be in a 2.5 gal + heated tank. We try to educate those around us about a good betta environment.

My betta is alone in a 10 gallon heated filtered tank and I've never seen a more active, lively betta.
Ya sorry definitely won't be putting one lone fish in a 10gal tank. That's just silly to me... JMO
Old 07-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #28 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso77 View Post
Ya sorry definitely won't be putting one lone fish in a 10gal tank. That's just silly to me... JMO
Oh no I'm not saying you should get a 10 gal, I'm just saying the bigger the better. Sorry I gave my input.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #29 
Aus

Okay, here's my take on this all:

It's kind of hard to expect people on a betta-dedicated forum to encourage you to get another fish when you're so defensive and righteous about kindly suggestions to get it a bigger space. People are only thinking of the fish.. and since you've been posting a bit in the sick fish thread, I can't blame anyone for hoping you'll take a different pov for the animal's well-being.

That said, I think once a post has been made giving vast detail on why a bigger tank is better, and the OP has responded ( even by acting prickly about it), there's no need for a mass pileup of other posts on it. It looks like bullying, when it gets to that point. Much better to simply avoid answering, if you don't wish to support the person's choice of tank size.

Sorry to say all that. Just too much arguing on the forum lately, it gets to where I hate reading help threads some days.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #30 
Calypso77

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Oh no I'm not saying you should get a 10 gal, I'm just saying the bigger the better. Sorry I gave my input.
No no, don't say sorry for giving your input. I know what you were saying.