Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #1 
LugiaChan

Salt in my air stone? Also is Lava Rock safe for betta?

Hi, so I met with someone and I bought $30 of stuff (lots of awesome accessories, an actual florescent light!, new lid, water conditioner, blue gravel and accessories and a new heater finally with a readable temperature. If ANYTHING is questionable, please ask any questions I want be to sure i'm safe with the fish :) ----- I washed everything in 1:3 vinegar water ratio and baking soda. Rinsed very very very well.

But for some reason my air stone, which looks like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Deep-Blue-Hig...KROJw~~_35.JPG but aqua blue around it with the same blue round middle section... Sounds like there's salt inside of it, when I shake it that is. Is this normal? Or is it salt? She said she loves salt water fish and may have used things in her salt water tanks! If it could be salt, should I let it soak and for how long? Or any other way to get it out?

Next, I got a lava rock! The exterior feels a little rough, i'm scared it might hurt my betta's fins. Has anybody had any luck with these? IT's so pretty ;_; i'm concerned about it being a problem as always.

Any help is a great thanks! :D i'm very happy with my new light, I hope at least that's safe. I did wash it best I could and not soaked it badly at all :)
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #2 
marvisq123

I read somewhere that lava rock hurts bettas fins, so I would not advise putting it in your tank
marvisq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #3 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvisq123 View Post
I read somewhere that lava rock hurts bettas fins, so I would not advise putting it in your tank
OKAy.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #4 
mattoboy

Lava rock is pretty sharp so I would avoid it in your betta tank
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #5 
tanseattle

About salt is easily soluble in water so you can boil water and let the air stone soak in warm/hot water well if you want to make sure then use more water and keep it for 30, which it think plenty of time for salt to dissolve and dilute out.

Tan
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #6 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanseattle View Post
About salt is easily soluble in water so you can boil water and let the air stone soak in warm/hot water well if you want to make sure then use more water and keep it for 30, which it think plenty of time for salt to dissolve and dilute out.

Tan
That's perfect! Thanks! :D
Old 07-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #7 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoboy View Post
Lava rock is pretty sharp so I would avoid it in your betta tank
Amen to that.