Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #1 
Aahnay

Unhappy Heater in mail today

Hi, I received my heater today. The box was totally crushed, popcorn falling out of it, and I could see the heater end. I easily took it out, and the other end was open, with popcorn pieces inside.

Ive looked at it and it doesnt appear to be broken, nothing rattles, but Im a bit nervous about trying it out. I havent used any aquarium product for more than 30 years.

Should i go ahead and test it? or ship it back? Its the Eheim. I looked up my seller and saw that he has 2 new for sale at 18.99, and amazon warehouse deals has a like new one for 18.48.

Im a bit concerned any ideas welcome.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #2 
Manda

Wow sorry about what happened with the heater =(
Is there any way you could safely test it out in a tank without fish in it?
Manda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #3 
Aahnay

yes, im just concerned.. haha. I read about the water shocking a bad heater can give, and well. I dont want to get shocked, lol. I dont know how sturdy they are? I can plug it in the oh... th outlets near water? for safety?

But if its ok, will it last? I dont know argh, lol
Old 07-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #4 
Twilight Storm

Does the heater have a mfg warranty?

If it looks ok, and not broken in any way, I would save your e-receipt and test it out and see if it works personally.

Sounds like the packing peanuts did their job... You can always contact the seller and ask their opinion, and let them know the postal service you used abused the heck out of their package.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #5 
tanseattle

Yes, how about test it out in water with thermometer to make sure the temperature is correct. In addition, I will plug it in at the plug in the kitchen that have the power strip (if it is broken the strip with turn it off). I think it is ok.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #6 
Aahnay

Ok, will plug it in... Yes i contacted the seller.

Its not the fedex, its the sellers packaging. You know those thin, cardboard boxes? They use them to package a group of smaller items when shipped to seller in a bigger order and another box?

this one says 'item quantity 12 pcs. It is totally flimsy, and im really surprised fedex took it for shipment. When I picked it up, from the drive, I almost dropped it, because it just ... felt like cotton in my hand and squishy. Lol.

Ok thank you all very much. It looks like a really nice heater, its much bigger than i expected for up to 7 gallons. I got it for my 4 gal, but think i will only use that tank for plants or hospital.

Maybe get a 5 for this heater. If i put it in a 10 gallon to check it, will i hurt it? it will try to stay on all the time. Again thanks very much.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #7 
Aahnay

The seller is emailing me a return fedex label and will reship it. Wow. Of course they may reship the same one, lol. Oh, Im not very trusting am I? o.O

The heater does have a 3 year warranty.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #8 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda View Post
Wow sorry about what happened with the heater =(
Is there any way you could safely test it out in a tank without fish in it?
Oh you fish is named Pascal, that was my all time fav coding language. It made so much sense to me, so easy to use too, lol.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #9 
Twilight Storm

That is good the seller is returning it since it made you so uneasy.

I guess he/she may send you the same heater back lol. If it's a good seller they will replace it with a different one though. That's still very professional of them to send you a return label for the replacement of the item. Sounds like 5 star customer service even if it was 2 star packaging! ;)

I wouldn't have bothered returning the heater though unless there is a problem with it, like cracks etc. The mfg warranty is a nice one at 3 years. I don't know if you should use the heater for a 10 gallon if it only heats to 7 gallons though. It could, like you said, stay on constantly if your room temperature is cool enough.

GL with it though and sorry this took me a bit of time to reply.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #10 
MSG

I left my 25watt Visi-Therm heater on for at least 12 hours, sitting directly on top of my tank lid. It melted the middle cover and part of the handle. Some plastic was melted onto the glass tube itself, but I just scrubbed it off with some bon ami & cold water.

It still works fine.

What was the wattage of your heater?

I would have tested out the Eheim heater before shipping it back.

I'm sure it was fine.

Also my Visi-Therm Submersible 25 watt heaters have little glass tubes that surround each of the heating elements. If you shake it, it will rattle.

It's not broken it's just the way it's designed.

I think by encapsulating the heating elements with glass.... only the glass tubes make contact with the outer glass shell instead of the heating elements, making it less likely to crack from temperature fluctuations.

Eventhough it's rated for 5 gallons, it's heated up the 10 gallon to 90 degrees with ease.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote