Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #1 
princessgata

should i cut back on water changes

A couple days ago my half moon skyler got stuck in his ornament and got a big cut like if some one had cut a piece off .i thought he was a goner i started changing 100 percent water every day and for first two added melafix and salt till a member here told me stop the melafix and use stress coat . i replaced the melafix with stress coat and am still changing 100 percent water but he seems stress from all the water changes .right after each water change he seems to be super jumpy for about half an hour and gets scared at the simplest moment .his tank is 2.68 with a filter and heater .tank is kept at 80 degrees .any advice would be appreciated other than half hour after water changes he is doing much better and is back to his old self behavior wise just looks beat up .
princessgata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #2 
TheCrabbyTabby

Remove the offending ornament. Chances are, he'll bang himself up again on it.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #3 
ravenwinds

I would continue to change at least 50% per day until wound appears to be healing. If wound looks at all infected, I would do 100% water changes. One of my females had a chunk taken out of her side by another female in sorority tank. I removed injured girl, Liv, to a glass water pitcher and am doing 100% water changes per day with stress coat and aquarium salt. If I had her in a 2.5g, I would do 50% water changes per day as there are no signs of infection.
I would remove the ornament as well. Perhaps you can add some live floating plants and something soft like cabomba...my bettas like to hide in the plants, it makes them less stressed.

Good luck!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

keep the little guy in the tank and do 50% water chanes instead. likely he's being stressed. Make sure the water temperature is nice. I always use an airline to siphon water out and back in to reduced the giant tsunami I would subject my betta to if I poured the water straight in. use a clip on the lines, and then you can do something else while the water slowly siphons in.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #5 
Kenny G

Your betta is jumpy because of the change of temperature in the water. I agree the others and recommend 50% water changes. Even though you have a heater it takes time to bring the water temperature up.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #6 
princessgata

crabby tabby the ornament is no more i had to break it to get him out and am waiting for his new one to arrive with great big holes .i am no longer giving him or any of my other boys a Chance to get stuck again .thank you all for your advice i will start doing 50 percent water changes .should i continue with salt for last 5 days and then just keep putting stress coat .i just want him better .every time i look at him i want to cry but he acts like nothing wrong my Little warrior
princessgata is offline   Reply With Quote