Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #1 
mjoy79

John Locke is going to die :(

I'm so sad about this. One of my favorite guys, John Locke, my amazing marble has been sick for several days. And I'm going on vacation tomorrow for a week. I don't have anyone that would be able to check on him and try to nurse him back to health. I tried for the last several days to do what I could but he's still bad and seems to be getting worse. I'm getting so frustrated because I seem to have one betta after another get sick and die on me lately.
Is there ANYthing I can do? Maybe a medicine that might pull out a miracle for JL? Any help is appreciated
Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? currently 84, normally 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 male betta on other side of divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS pellets and occasional bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 X per day, 3 pellets each

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1 time per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tap water conditioner in normal circumstances

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0-.25PPM
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? color pale, clamped fins, appears bloated, possibly gold dust
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not eating, hanging out at top of tank, breathing slightly heavily
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? treated entire tank for velvet (raised temp to 84, added AQ salt) because the other betta in the tank appears to have gold dust as well but is behaving normally. Moving JL to a hospital tank now in case he dies, don't want to contaminate main tank.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? approx. 1 year
Attached Images

Last edited by mjoy79; 07-03-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: forgot something
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #2 
Goldibug

It sounds like ammonia poisoning with him gasping for air and sitting at the bottom with clamped fins. Typically .25 ammonia is still safe but after a prolonged time being exposed to it it can harm your fish. You need to test for nitrItes and nitrAtes as well. If nitrItes are high this will also harm your fish. They need to read 0. You should have nitrAtes reading below 40 ppm but above 0. Adding an Airstone will help as well. I have a small one sitting just below the surface of the water and my betta does well with it. If your tank isn't cycled you can add a bottled bacteria such as Safestart to help speed things along. How is your other fish doing on the other side?
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #3 
mjoy79

:( As expected, while I was gone, John Locke died. I am so sad about this. He's one of only 2 I've imported from Thailand and admittedly was one of my favorite bettas.
Unfortunately, JL's former tank mate (divided) Sawyer is not doing well now either. He's a bit lethargic and won't eat. It appears that he has gold dust on some of him but I'm not sure. He's currently in a hospital tank but I really don't know what to do for him. :(
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #4 
Goldibug

He has velvet. I've never dealt with it in any of my tanks so I'm unsure of how to treat it. I do know that it is a nasty illness that needs to be treated asap. Start researching treatment possibilities and get him started on something quick. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote