Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #1 
Creat

Help Aquascaping !

I have had my edge tank for a while but now I have no idea what to do with it the plants are kinda taking over and nothing looks good as it used to. I have no idea what I want to do with it but it needs to change. Right now it has what I think is mondo grass, a lilly bulb of some sort, a crpt in the background thats regrowing from a crazy otto that ate it, an anubias on a log, and some sort of cryt that randomly sprouted in the tank, it also has issue with java moss I cant get all of it out and it grows in the corners and where ever else lol. Stock wise there are 3 glass cats and 4 white clouds. Help my tank needs direction DX
Name:  IMG_1524.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  52.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1528.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1526.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1529.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1530.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  65.7 KB
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #2 
Aus

First thing I'd do is pull out all that Mondo grass - it's not a true aquatic and will eventually die off, leaving nasties in your tank.

The anubias/wood looks rather nice where it is. If you cleared the substrate around it in front and planted a low-growing ground cover like dwarf baby tears or mosses, it would help it stand out as a feature maybe.

Crypts are nice and pretty hardy. They do grow slowly, but can get quit big in time, so maybe those would look good near the back of the tank close to the wood (ah, I see you have one there already, I think anubias & crypts look great together..). You have height (with the wood) on that side.. so perhaps consider either some taller stems in the opposite corner to balance it and give contrast to the shape, or leave it high where the wood is, put the crypts and maybe some dwarf swords there to make it a bit jungly and then have some flatter but interesting rocks on the other side with some clumps of lower-growing plants.

The lily is too close to the front. They are such lovely plants - maybe put it closer to the wood, or by that large rock on the left as a feature with some low plants around it, but close to the back so it can be seen at a 'distance'. Large at back, small at front is a good basic rule.

I have been googling fluval nano scapes for ideas on composition.. lots of great pics out there - maybe check out a similar search for inspiration? Once you have the general shape in mind, it'd be easier to suggest plants to help make that look good.

Last edited by Aus; 07-13-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 
Creat

Well if mondo isnt a true aquatic then its not mondo sense this stuff has been there for a few years and its a weed in this tank. I like the baby tears idea and moving the lilly.....
Old 07-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #4 
Aus

You're welcome. ;)
Old 07-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Hate to somewhat rain on this but baby tears are a high maintenance plant. :( Being low-growing, they need really high light and usually C02 as well. I'd suggest cryptocoryne parva as a foreground plant. It can be trimmed to stay low and it's a low-light plant.

Otherwise, I think that tank looks really nice. Very natural. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #6 
Creat

Thanks I have baby tears on a log in another aquarium its fertilized but no C02 this tank is also fertilized. But it is super high maintenance agreed. I will have to look into that crypt the tank is just so gosh darn short...
Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #7 
Aus

I'm not finding it high maintenance? Mine's sprouting like a weed.. doubled in size in a couple of weeks, though it is a tiny bit leggy.

Maybe I'm just.. green thumbed. Or something. o.O

If the tank is short you could do a moss carpet? I know they aren't that hard.. moss will grow about anywhere.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

That doesn't look likemondo grass.. maybe dwarf...micro... sword... saggitaria... oO no idea
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Agreed. After looking at the up close pic, it's not mondo grass. Mondo is dark green and looks kind of like a reed/rush grass.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #10 
Creat

O.o Then what is in my tank... moss sounds fun never done it though