Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #21 
Sincerely

I hope to see a spawn log soon then of your endeavors then!

I know myself and I said no more pairs for me! I have a lot to breed as it is!

You will have to take pictures of when he comes in!

When I get home and I am not typing on my phone I will post a new fish
Sincerely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #22 
bettalover2033

Oh, I got a fish to post:)

Well this isn't the best quality, but he was bought from AB.

I decided not to breed him because I had no pairing females for him. Though I bought him because I wanted to breed him to a light dragon. A female that would throw a lot of cellos and at the time I was only thinking about the colors that he would give rather the form he would help with.

As you can see, he doesn't have the best form or finnage. It is exceptional though. It is also doable to work with. Yes there would have to be a bit more fixing than other breeders. If I did breed him, I would have to work on first of all his edging in general. His fins are really rounded and should be a bit sharper. The anal fin is one of the most rounded aside of the caudal. It should come down to a sharper point.

A potential female to pair him to (looking mostly at form), I would suggest a sharp edged female to help with his fins. A female that has a nice broad dorsal (if possible) and a wide caudal because his caudal is very rounded. If you were breeding for color, I would prefer a dragon or even a dragon geno. Breeding a non dragon to a dragon is going to give less than 75% dragon, some with just dragon scaling patches all over the body and then some that are dragon genos. A light colored female would be ideal for him. If he had come with a sibling, that would be much more easy to work with.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #23 
inareverie85

So I just bought this girl:

I got her because, while her dorsal is rather small, her form seems rather nice, from what I can tell.

I wonder what sort of male would compliment her. He'd need to have a large dorsal, for one thing. I have this male coming in the same shipment with her:

I realize that his anal fin is rather long, but I'm hoping she can balance him out.

I just love salamanders.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #24 
bettalover2033

First I'd like to say that everytime I see you post pictures of your fish you get or have and then look at your avatar, that is literally the face I make when I see them.

The white female is amazing and the salamander male is also very nice. Yes the anal fin is a bit long, but it's not REALLY huge and it won't be that much of a big thing to work with. As picky as I am with HM's, Ive taken the time to try and accept an anal fin that's sort of longer than the caudal because its extremely rare for me to find others that aren't from Thailand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inareverie85 View Post
So I just bought this girl:

I got her because, while her dorsal is rather small, her form seems rather nice, from what I can tell.

I wonder what sort of male would compliment her. He'd need to have a large dorsal, for one thing. I have this male coming in the same shipment with her:

I realize that his anal fin is rather long, but I'm hoping she can balance him out.

I just love salamanders.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #25 
Sena Hansler

I have to find a nice HM pair.... I asked around my area and someone wants dumbos HM DeT and super delta....

Btw dumbos... Love them! But do not know the first thing about breeding them..
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #26 
bettalover2033

Sena, there really isn't a special way to breed Dumbos. They are just bettas with enlarged pectorals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I have to find a nice HM pair.... I asked around my area and someone wants dumbos HM DeT and super delta....

Btw dumbos... Love them! But do not know the first thing about breeding them..
Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #27 
MrVampire181

I'd pair that girl with a white male. Her color is too nice to give up.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #28 
bettalover2033

I'm sure you miss your platinums MrVampire.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #29 
inareverie85

Whites are really nice. I love colors, too, though.

One great thing about whites is that I'll be able to rehome the fry VERY easily. I'll need to think about it.

I have several males and only this girl so far. She may mother spawns with more than one boy during her prime breeding age. ;)

I am eyeing another girl currently, but her anal is a bit long for my tastes.. Still, she has some good traits, and she's a white girl with some red marbling in her finnage. She'd compliment my all-time favorite fish, Valentino, perfectly.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #30 
Maura

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Actually, this thread is all about breeding. It's giving new breeders a chance at seeing what (breeders) would choose as breeding stock. It shows what we look for in breeding stock as well. Also what do you mean, you'll have to mark it read?

I think of it as "At least it's not one of those POINTLESS threads about how bettas love us or a ranting thread." So personally I believe that members will look at this thread as helpful. Also If you think this thread has nothing to do with breeding, then you would think that the other threads of people asking "Is this a good fish?" has nothing to do with breeding as well.

Sena, he is a very pretty CT, but I believe this thread is dedicated mostly to Show quality fish from either AB or another show quality breeder.:)
Thank you for posting this thread. I'll be beginning my endeavors into the breeding world in December (winter break) and I'm trying to learn as much as I can in the meantime, including which fish to pick out of the hundreds on AB to start with.
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote