Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #51 
inareverie85

So do you folks still check this thread much? I need an opinion on two white males that I am thinking of for my new female. :)
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #52 
Sincerely

I still do, I am needing to post some new boys I saw for sale that I like very much. Feel free to post fish, I do not mind giving fish a critique
Sincerely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #53 
Anitax3x

Sincerely gives great advice too
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #54 
Sincerely

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1343702386

I saw this boy and he is a good example of some good things and some bad things. You could use this boy as breeder stock for a multi/bicolor line but I would be extra stringent in getting a well matching female.

So lets start out with this boy's finnage, it is very symmetrical which is his greatest asset. But the edges are very rough and his branching is uneven, you could even call this boy to be a RT. He is an OHM with a sharp caudal edge with a D shaped caudal. He has a forward pointing dorsal with a long first ray, a big plus. Although I would prefer his dorsal base to be abit wider so it is 1/2 his body length. He has a short, pointing forward anal fin which is great, full ventral's that match the anal length. Now about his body, it is very thick so it supports his finnage very well, unfortunately it looks like he has quite the spoon-head and this counts against him.

So for this male I think the best match for him would be a SD/HM DT female, so you can work on widening the dorsal base, help to keep the thick body (But not a short body) and start to reduce the branching so you can clean up the edges and reduce branching. You could use a HM female but try to find one who has minimal branching, if she is even a DT geno that could help with widening the dorsal base.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #55 
inareverie85

Thanks :) I am a bit torn between these two boys. Not super-torn. I already have a preference, but I'm not sure it goes well with my girl.

So, once again, this is my female:

I am likely to breed her to a number of males while she's still in her prime, but I really took Mr. Vampire's thought to heart, that her stunning white color is one of her greatest features. So I have been on the hunt for quality males.

First boy, and my favorite so far. He has a pretty good body. Topline is ok. His finnage seems, to my novice eyes, pretty nice and balanced. The rays are clean enough, though the anal could use some work, perhaps. My female has a great anal, though. My main concern is that his dorsal isn't large enough to compensate for her very small one.

The second male has a much larger dorsal. His anal fins is also more clean, and he has fewer rays overall. His topline, however, is not as strong, and his caudal seems.. a bit flat, maybe? Perhaps I'm using the wrong word.

This isn't necessarily a question of who's the best boy (I think my first male would win that vote), but rather a question of who will produce the best babies with my lovely girl.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)
Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #56 
MrVampire181

They're both nice boys!

That girl from Linda is nice! Good thing you got her before I drove over there and stole her ;)

BL2033, not always does a wide dorsal mean DT. All bettas are bred for wide dorsals.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #57 
inareverie85

Which male do you think is more appropriate, Mr. V? I want my offspring to be as show-worthy as possible, even if I don't show this year.

I want to begin several lines of show quality bettas.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #58 
Sincerely

So call me a brat if you like, but neither of them are really standing out to me (Both are nice boys but they just give me the impression of "meh" I think I am spoiled LOL). If you are in a rush to find a boy for her I would say boy #2, he is a better match for her. If you are still browsing I would wait until perhaps something else appears.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #59 
inareverie85

I am in no rush. :) Breeding won't be happening for at least another month or longer, and I will have other pairs I can work with first.

If they aren't great quality for breeding, I am most certainly happy to wait for the right one. It'll cost the same, anyway. Each of these boys is $30, well, $35 from Thailand.

And I've learned from years of keeping fish that impatience is the greatest mistake that people make. :)

Last edited by inareverie85; 07-25-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #60 
MrVampire181

Boy #1 has a better body, more symmetry, and more branching... which could lead to RT.

Boy #2 has a not so great body, less branching, nice symmetry as well. The less branching will reduce RT chances and her body will even out his.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote