Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #1 
tanseattle

Outside Pond and Inside Tank

This one is my outside pond for my betta (the heat is killing me)

I used the below pond to collect mosquito larva

The below is the new under construction pond

Below is my sorority tank; the white bar is my divider just in case I need to seprate the bad girls. So far so good. I have to jail two girls: 1 for 1 day and when is free, she behave good. The bigger VT girl has to stay in jail for 2 days; she is out now, and it looks good (no big fight).

I have 8 more males and 4 female in jars (3 couples are conditioning for breeding).

Tan
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #2 
Aus

Thanks for sharing the pics, Tan! I -love- your outdoor pond, the betta must like being in there. I'd like to see the new pond when it's done, too.

And your divided tank is really pretty. :) I laughed a bit about your fish going into 'time out' for being bad. Girls are so cheeky..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #3 
tanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Thanks for sharing the pics, Tan! I -love- your outdoor pond, the betta must like being in there. I'd like to see the new pond when it's done, too.

And your divided tank is really pretty. :) I laughed a bit about your fish going into 'time out' for being bad. Girls are so cheeky..
Thank you Aus. The outside pond can only be used from May to October in Seattle with the heater still cost about $20 extra a month for the electric heater. Winter is out of the question, it will cost over $50/month extra for heat. If I am rich I can do it but right now winter fishes are inside.

I will wait for next April to condition the breeding pair then breed indoor and by June let the baby out will growout in the outside pond. This will save money on electric bill.

I just hope that I can save my aquatic plant inside over the winter. It is tough to raise betta in a cold country.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #4 
Aus

I can imagine it would be! You get snow there, don't you?

I wonder whether outdoor growout will produce stronger/healthier babies? I'd really like to see some pictures of the fry who've grown out there.. All those yummy mosquitos would make them nice and plump. :)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #5 
tanseattle

Update

Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #6 
tanseattle

Update

One side of the pond is about done. Still working on the rest of the pond.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #7 
goldfishyman

Hi,

I I'm from Issaquah. Where do you get your fish from? I heard there is a local breeder in Tuquila that sells to the pet stores. I've been trying to find some half moon females and some yellow crown tails to breed into my line.

As for the outdoor pond I've been pondering doing this. I saw a turtle sand box with lid and figured that might be an excellent way for me to disguise a pond from the association and it would have a lid to keep the heat in during the night and the racoons etc out.

I used to live in a tropical location and had an old plastic tank that was over 50 gallons. I allowed green water to grow in it. I had a spawn that was dying out fast so I figured I would dump them in there for the hell of it. I practically written off the spawn as a total loss. Well 2 weeks later I found some nice looking bettas that were blue crown tails swimming around in there over an inch long. If I had done it sooner I would have had about a hundred but only found 6 had made it. Seriously it was pretty bad they looked liked they had bent spines and were sitting on the bottom when I first threw them in. I think they were only about a week and a half old. There was so much food and algae in that green water container that they grew so rapidly. I think your idea for using the pond as a grow out will yield great results.

keep us updated.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Love your ponds and sorority! How big is your sorority tank?
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #9 
tanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
Love your ponds and sorority! How big is your sorority tank?
My sorority tank only 10 gal with 8 female: 1 adult and 7 young female. They get alone fine. It is fun to watch them eat together.

Tan
Old 07-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #10 
tanseattle

Hi Gold Fish. I live in Des Moines, corner with Kent. You are not very far. There are at least 3 local breeder in our area: Vil, Jung, and binh99. I got my fish from Vietnamese betta professional in Orange County, CA, Binh99 (Kent), Vil (female HM from North Seattle), and hopefully from Jung (Renton) for dragon and plaket).

have a great day