Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 
labloverl

cleaning divided tanks

I have a divided 10 gallon. I do a 50% water change once a week and I vacuum both sides fairly well. Each week there's so much debris that it looks like I haven't cleaned the tank in a month! The side without the filter is the worst. Both males eat every pellet I give them, so what's causing it? At the end of the week, I can see it collecting on the plant leaves (fake) and other flat surfaces. When I just had the one male, I only noticed more coming up the gravel vac. in the area of the tank that he stayed in the most. The tank light is 2 15w bulbs, but honestly, they're hardly ever on. I either forget to turn them on, or they're on for 4 hours or less. Am I doing something wrong?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Do you have live plants? Or other tank mates like shrimp, snails, cories...? And how much do you feed? My sorority gets messy because I have to feed the three tetras and the algae eater.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #3 
labloverl

All fake plants, and just the two male bettas. They get 3-4 pellets each.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

What type of filter do you have? I find that the one side stays clean, so I have to nudge the filter closer to the divider
Old 07-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #5 
labloverl

It's a HOB filter that came with the 10 gallon tank. I'm not sure exactly what kind it is, but it definitely can't move. I don't mind cleaning all of that out of the gravel and off of the plants, as long as it's not too harmful for the fish.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Well, just siphon as much as you can - not sure, but live plants may also help...Java Moss and Java Fern are hardy low light plants.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Is your filter fixed in the center of the back of your tank? If so, you might want to consider a double divider with the heater in the middle bay, too. It'll even things out and, if you can increase the filter flow, may improve the filtration.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #8 
labloverl

Unfortunately, it is able to be on only one side. I considered a double divider, but then I'd have to buy a new filter.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #9 
Sakura8

I have found that pretty much the best way to filter a divided tank is to put a filter in each side. I would suggest using Tetra Whisper 3i internal filters because you can run two of them off a single airpump using a gang valve. You can also use little box filters like Lee's or Penn Plax. But if you don't filter both sides, one side gets stagnant and nasty.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Please don't spend your money on Tetra 3i sponge filters. They are not properly designed to filter anything. You can see, by running one with the foam out, that the air/water lift pipe completely misses the filter chamber. I can't believe they persist in selling this bogus device.

They can be modified to make it work, but why should anyone have to do this?

If you're going to go with a new sponge filter, get a good Hydro '0' or equivalent and put it between two dividers.

Having said that, I don't like sponge filters...too noisy.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote