Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #1 
Sprinkles55

Talking Sprinkles new home!

As of last night I got Sprinkle's new tank, the hawkeye 5 gallon from Wal-Mart. I got it all set up and ready to go, but I'm not putting him in for 24 hours to let it settle and make sure it's working right.
Considering this is the biggest tank I've had, I had questions on water changes. It's not a cycled tank and it has a filter.
No 100% changes, correct? Is it 50% a week? Two times a week? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
and yes, it does have a heater, I just took the picture before it was in.

Oh, and here's the picture!
All plants were tested and safe.
My only concern is the filter and hoping the intake current isn't too strong It doesn't seem to be but I don't want to take chances. I can take pantyhose and put it over the intake right? To ensure no troubles?
Thank you!

Last edited by Sprinkles55; 07-13-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Its beautiful! I hope Sprinkles (cute name BTW) enjoys his new home!!!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #3 
LizzyP

Beautiful!

As for the water changes, I don't know I only have a 3 gallon.
But I have heard of people putting panty hose over the intake and it seems to work well. I use a filter sponge to baffle the "waterfall". Just took a clean rubber band and strapped it on.

Enjoy your tank, Sprinkles! :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #4 
Kim

Nice tank ;) It's always so fun to watch a betta explore a big new tank :)

As for the water changes- actually any uncycled tank will eventually need a 100% water change to stay ammonia free, which is why most people cycle larger tanks. When dealing with uncycled aquariums, the only difference with a larger tank is that you will be able to go longer between 100% changes due to the larger water volume diluting your fish's waste more. Since I've never tried a 5 gallon uncycled I can't give you a real water change schedule, regardless however, my best advice is to get a good ammonia test kit and test every few days until you get a feel for when your tank needs a water change. Everyone's tanks will be somewhat different depending on a multitude of factors (what you feed, how much you feed, source water, etc.).

From the pic I can't really tell what kind of filter you have in there, but there are many ways to baffle it to reduce the flow. You can use a piece of sponge over the intake or attached to the outflow, wrap pantyhose around the intake, or use a cut plastic water bottle (make sure to round the edges) to wrap around the outflow area. Some people also have luck with putting large plants around the outflow area to diffuse the flow, but this has never worked as well as baffling for me.

Good luck with your new tank!!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #5 
Sprinkles55

Update!

Thank you everybody! He's definitely been silly exploring his tank, he actually loves it a lot it seems. He kept swimming for awhile after he realized he had a new home. His favorite place is hiding in the tall plants to the right from what I'm seeing so far He also seems to enjoy his betta log a lot too. My heater's working great, water's around 76 degrees and aiming for 78-80. The intake of the filter doesn't seem to bother Sprinkles so I don't think I'll have to cover it. The filter came with a plastic baffle, so I thought that was super awesome! The filter I got is an Aquarius Mini Might Power Filter. It doesn't have a flow setting but it's a pretty light flow, plus the baffle included works great. What ammonia level should I be changing my water at? I'm kind of clueless to a lot of that which is why I strayed away from cycling the tank
Old 07-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Beautiful tank! I bet he will love it!!

When I had a 2.5 gal, I did 50% changes 2 x a week. So a rough estimate you might be ok with a 50% change once a week. But like mentioned above, a liquid test kit (such as API brand) will help you keep check of your levels to see if you will need additional changes :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #7 
Silverfang

a 50% change weekly should be ok with a good gravel cleaning. If you want to be sure, get an test kit for at least ammonia.

I think he'll be quite happy.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #8 
Sprinkles55

Thank you everyone! I'll pick up an api test kit to make sure the levels are fine with 50% weekly changes. You're all super helpful :)
Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #9 
BettaJen

Such a nice tank!
BettaJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #10 
sjones

In a uncycled tank you will need to do a 100% waterchange because ammonia will build up over time. For a three gallon two 100% a week or perhaps one 50% and one 100% a week would work. I have kept this schedule over the past two years of my non filtered/cycled tanks and it kept my fish well. Good thing you also can use the test kit to make sure! Nice.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote