Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #1 
Spazzfish

Exclamation Please Breed Responsibly!!!

I have seen a bunch of threads recently about people wanting to breed their pet fish. Please do not take this personaly but... Your fish probaly isn't fit for breeding!
Bad Reasons to Breed Betta Fish (or any living creature in some cases)

1. "I am bord" or "I want a hobby to take up my spare time" Please if your just "bord" or want a "hobby" take up knitting, do a puzzle, learn french I could go on for ever!
2."my betta built a bubble nest :D" Congrats! That means you have a strong healthy betta on your hands! Thatt does not mean that he must be bread -_-
3. "Pretty colors..." Thats great! But thats still not a good reason to breed him!\or her.
4. "I want to breed petstore fish just for the 'experience'" ...It cost pretty much the same to breed pet store fish Vs. Quality fish. Unless you want to cull a bunch of fish you cant home you will end up waisting more money with petstore fish.
5."Hey I have a male betta and a female betta i will throw them in a tank without reaserch or further consideration and hope for the best!" No, just No. These are living creatures again incase you missed it: THESE THINGS ARE ALIVE!!!!!! Please that thing between your ears is a brain use it!

Good Reasons to breed
1. You love betta fish and want to work towards the bettering of the species!
2. You have lots of money, free time, and have spent hours reaserching my face off!
3. You want to breed good show quality bettas.

Important Things READ THIS!!!
1. Handle constructive criticism. People in the betta world are all, in my experiance , they all mean well. If they say "that fish has a long anal" they are not saying "That fish is ugly you are a failure! Give up!" They are trying to help :)
2. know your fins you need to eat breath and sleep finnage.
3. Find a group of breeders in your area Betta people are funny :) plus they can help you with getting starter cultures and you can buy fish from them and get advise.
4. *** Join the IBC*** great organization you can get a lot of great info there plus withe pals program you may be able to get a free pair you just pay shipping!
5. have all your suplies ready! food, tanks cups, the works.
Yes I am done! That was like an hour with tiny keys on my phone so if i misspelt something bite me! Rawr!
Spazzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #2 
Calypso77

+1 good post.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #3 
Mo

I agree. Breeding a pet store pair that has bad form and bad quality equals just as much care and money investment as a quality pair would. I don't see the point of breeding a pair for Expereince when you have to rehome all of the fry. It will be hard to find a home for them unless you sell them for free.... I doubt someone would even pay shipping for a poorly bred VT hat could be bought at any pet store for 3 dollars
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #4 
Spazzfish

I am sure some people will be offended but this needed to be said.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #5 
Calypso77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzfish View Post
I am sure some people will be offended but this needed to be said.
I know of a kid that breeds them and not saying there aren't smart kids out there that can't do it, but it is worrisome because it is a lot of work. Nothing against kids I was one myself but I just couldn't buy one from a child.... JMHO
Old 07-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #6 
Spazzfish

Mo is a kid he is like younger than me and I'd buy from him anyday. Mr. V is younger than me or my age (i think) and i am going to buy one of his white females. And heck i am 16! Mo makes some adults i know look like an irrisponsible two year old!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Having time is very important, too. I've heard people with spawns to take care of complain about how they can't take care of their fry because they work full time and go to college full time. Then they end up dumping a spawn because they have no time or energy ti take care of their fish. So if you're the kind of person who has a pretty busy life with work, school, after school activities etc then you might not want to breed until you have more time.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #8 
Calypso77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzfish View Post
Mo is a kid he is like younger than me and I'd buy from him anyday. Mr. V is younger than me or my age (i think) and i am going to buy one of his white females. And heck i am 16! Mo makes some adults i know look like an irrisponsible two year old!
I never said all kids, I said I knew a kid.... I don't know the kids on here so I can't speak for how they are if they are responsible with breeding or not.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #9 
Calypso77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Having time is very important, too. I've heard people with spawns to take care of complain about how they can't take care of their fry because they work full time and go to college full time. Then they end up dumping a spawn because they have no time or energy ti take care of their fish. So if you're the kind of person who has a pretty busy life with work, school, after school activities etc then you might not want to breed until you have more time.
Agreed...
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #10 
Mo

Yeah. Mr. V is 15 and I'm 12
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish, breeding