Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #1 
Peewie

My brand new betta

Hello

I just came across this site as I was looking for care for my new betta... I love it :)

I just got my red male betta yesterday... I have him in a 2.5g tank with a mini filter i will get a heater as soon as I can get to a pet shop..

All he does is stay at the top of the tank right next to the filter and he hardly ever swims around...

I only let the filter run for a couple of hours before I put him in and I put the water conditioner in AFTER I put my betta in.. Mistake, I know :(

I see that he has made a lot of bubbles and his eating is also fine...

I was also wondering if I have to take him out the tank and not put him back in for 24 hours when I do the 100% water change... Also how often do I have to do the 25% water change?

I attached a couple of pictures for you to look at, because I wasnt sure if the top of his head was just his normal coloring or if he has a problem, because it seems white and spotty...

Thank you sooo much and I'm so glad I found this site :)
Attached Images

Peewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

Hehehehe cute <3

I think the coloration is normal IMO.

Also, I think that a filter for a tank that size might not be all that necessary, as long as you clean it :3

And as for cleanings, I'd say do cleanings once every 2-3 days. And my cleanings take about an hour or so, since my tank is a 2 gal. So you don't have to worry about the 24 hours. You can do as many 25% changes as you want, as long as it doesn't stress the fish, I belive. I can clean Buddha's tank everyday, and he 's perfectly okay with it. ^^

also, he might be a little bit shocked to being in a new enviornment, so it will take a little bit of time to adjust :)

But if someone else has a more experienced answer, I think it might be better than mine.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #3 
Peewie

awww... I feel a lot more at ease.. Thank you so much...
Old 07-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

your welcome :)

I remember being in your situation, except I was a lot more unprepared xD
I only had the tank, a net food, gravel, and a Buddha statue.

Everything else came after being on here :3
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Welcome to the forum!

As Alcemist said, I think that the patches are normal. :) My Betta has a white face, he's fine. For cleaning, it differs if you have a filter or not. Since you do, I think a 2 50% per week should keep the ammonia low. It's not cycled, so that's my reason. Or do what Alcemist said about the every few days. Those bubbles are all spread around. That's because of his labyrinth organ. It's a side effect. It needs to be a big pile of bubble to be called a bubblenest. It's good he's eating... You don't have to wait a day until you put him in. Just remember to acclimate! :D I'm glad I found this site, too! Your Betta is purdy...^.^
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #6 
Joelouisvachon

There is a sickness fish can get called ick which looks like white spots on the fish like you described, but your fish doesn't seem to have that judging by the pictures. A lighter colored 'mask' on the fish's 'face' is just a type of coloring, I read about it in a sticky on this fourum.
Joelouisvachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #7 
Aus

Quote:
All he does is stay at the top of the tank right next to the filter and he hardly ever swims around...
He's probably a bit cold, and/or a tad shocked, as the other poster said. Once you have a heater and he's used to his home/new water, he'll pick up.

Quote:
I only let the filter run for a couple of hours before I put him in and I put the water conditioner in AFTER I put my betta in.. Mistake, I know :(
Running a filter for a few hours doesn't make any difference to the water. Cycling takes -weeks- and so you should treat this tank as uncycled (that means more frequent water changes). And there's a product called Stress Coat that's good for repairing brief exposure to chlorine, on the skin anyway, I keep it at hand at all times. I'm a totally anal fishkeeper and -I- forgot the conditioner once.. it happens. Your fish will recover if it was brief exposure.

Quote:
I see that he has made a lot of bubbles and his eating is also fine...
Good!

Quote:
I was also wondering if I have to take him out the tank and not put him back in for 24 hours when I do the 100% water change... Also how often do I have to do the 25% water change?
In a 2.5 gallon tank, you need to do 100% once per week. 50% once per week. Like, water change on Wednesday and again on Sunday.

25% per week will cause a horrible build up of ammonia and make him sick - sooner or later.

You can put him straight back in after each change - once you've floated him a while in the new water (to make sure it's a similar temperature) and added a little new water to his cup every few minutes to get him used to the new chemistry.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #8 
Peewie

Thank you for all your replies :)) I'm confused about the water change though... So I change 100% every 3 days take him out the tank put him in a bowl and put some of the new tank water in the bowl till he gets adjusted? I have the stress coat drops it says it makes tap water safe :)
Old 07-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #9 
Aus

Yup - put him in a little covered cup (one that hasn't had contact with soap, or has been rinsed -very- well) and float this in the tank's new water. Every few minutes, add a little new water to the cup.

In an unfiltered, unplanted 2.5 gallon tank, twice a week changes is fine. I'd do 1 x 50% + 1 x 100%.

ETA - whoops, I see you have a filter. 2 x 50% ought to be good then but do a gravel vacuum for one of those.

Stress Coat is a wonderful product. I use Prime for all my water changes, as it's so cost-effective, and Stress Coat for ill fish or new fish.. but its fine to use all the time, too.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #10 
Peewie

Hi... Me again.. Thanks for all the replies

I went to the pet shop to get a heater and a thermometer today... When I put the thermometer in the water I saw that it was at 83 degrees I didnt plug the heater in because it is a pre heated heater and I dont know wht it is pre heated to? So I did a 50% water change put in coller water and got the temperature down to 81, hopefully itll come down to 80 soon enough since I have the AC on very high now...

My question is about the pre heated heater... The brand is called deep blue and its for tanks upto 5 gallons... Since theres no button or switch for me to change the temperature to, how do I know what it is pre heated to? Or do I plug it in once the water gets to a temperature I want it to stay atand the heater helps it stay at that temp??

Thank you :)