Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #11 
lillyandquigly

Ok, and also how old would you say my female betta is(out of topic I know but I really want to know)
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

You can't tell with a pet store fish.

For a breeding pair, you want good branching, strong rays, straight edges, symmetry, proper color according to strain, good top line, and a good size and aggression. I won't breed a scrawny, wimpy fish.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #13 
lillyandquigly

Ok, so do I want matching colors? Or would it be fine to do different colors?(I already have a list of everything I need)
Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #14 
lillyandquigly

(are you calling my fish scrawny and or wimpy)
Old 07-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #15 
Anitax3x

Go to

Www.bettysplendens.com

Www.bettatalk.com

And read it ALL the first step in breeding is understanding the most about the betta and fish keeping in general.

Find out the tail type you like or want to breed, then study up on its "best" form. This helped me make a quality purchase from a great breeder.

Also check out

Www.internationalbettacongress.org

Hope that helps!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #16 
Thomasdog

Just kinda jumping on but...
Quote:
For a breeding pair, you want good branching, strong rays, straight edges, symmetry, proper color according to strain, good top line, and a good size and aggression
So you WANT aggression? 0_o
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #17 
MrVampire181

I'd rather have aggression than swimming like crazy around the tank. Aggressive fish breed more easily. They get the whole "I'm going to show you I'm dominant" and it impresses the other fish.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #18 
Anitax3x

I agree, usually the female picks the most aggressive male in the wild. It shows how he is healthy strong and has good genes.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #19 
checkerzelda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyandquigly View Post
@Lebron, yeah she is a petstore betta, but she has(about a month ago)built a bubble nest herself and layed eggs in it
Wow, building a bubble nest and laying eggs in it you say...that shows she's in her breeding prime and is very ready to breed. Was she in view of a male betta? I think it is unusual for females to do this..they don't normally lay them in the absence of a male and simply re-absorb the eggs internally. My guess is, she's less than 12 months old..maybe 5-8 months. You can tell if CT females are above 1 yr..they are less vigorous and don't exactly respond to males as eagerly as younger ones, haha.

I think whether or not you want to breed her depends on what you want/can do with the resulting babies when they become adult. Generic CTs are much less in demand, they're twice cheaper than even a Superdelta. So unless you're breeding to keep or giving them away for free...it might be wiser to work with 'in demand' fish like HMs/HMPKs as they carry more value and require the same amount of effort and costs as any cheaper fish.

I would say, go ahead and try it if you don't mind being swamped with ~100 CTs. Breeding bettas is a learning experience..people seldom get it right the first time, it might be good to start off with affordable fish before you move on to the higher end range. Since you're not breeding for show anyway, it is ok to pair her with any colour (if you like unpredictability) as long as it is CT. Blue with blue gives you blue, blue with red gives off multicolours. Your choice. :)
checkerzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #20 
Martinismommy

These photo's might help you get a good visual on what show quality breeding stock should look like if you are going to breed CT's...

These 2 are sisters....4 months old..

Here are 2 brothers
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote