Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #21 
Thomasdog

Quote:
I'd rather have aggression than swimming like crazy around the tank. Aggressive fish breed more easily. They get the whole "I'm going to show you I'm dominant" and it impresses the other fish.
... (0-0) then I got it backwards.... Sunny was aggressive and Sparta just sat there LOL. I think he has that disease where you randomly fall asleep, no joke. I'll post a vid in care, just to see. :S
Good luck with your breeding lilly
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #22 
lillyandquigly

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkerzelda View Post
Wow, building a bubble nest and laying eggs in it you say...that shows she's in her breeding prime and is very ready to breed. Was she in view of a male betta? I think it is unusual for females to do this..they don't normally lay them in the absence of a male and simply re-absorb the eggs internally. My guess is, she's less than 12 months old..maybe 5-8 months. You can tell if CT females are above 1 yr..they are less vigorous and don't exactly respond to males as eagerly as younger ones, haha.

I think whether or not you want to breed her depends on what you want/can do with the resulting babies when they become adult. Generic CTs are much less in demand, they're twice cheaper than even a Superdelta. So unless you're breeding to keep or giving them away for free...it might be wiser to work with 'in demand' fish like HMs/HMPKs as they carry more value and require the same amount of effort and costs as any cheaper fish.

I would say, go ahead and try it if you don't mind being swamped with ~100 CTs. Breeding bettas is a learning experience..people seldom get it right the first time, it might be good to start off with affordable fish before you move on to the higher end range. Since you're not breeding for show anyway, it is ok to pair her with any colour (if you like unpredictability) as long as it is CT. Blue with blue gives you blue, blue with red gives off multicolours. Your choice. :)
she was not in presence of the male when she did that. @Mr.Vamp what would you say would be the best breed for a beginner like myself to breed?
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #23 
Creat

My question would be what would you do with the babies good or bad crowntails arent in high demand. I personally doubt you will get more then 50 babies.I normally end up with about 30 max be cause I cull hard and or remove the female early. I would say breed your female if you breed fish you love I believe its from your heart and you will do the best for the babies. I would splurge for a nice male but not to expensive it is your first time. And ct arent as hard to breed as people make them out to be.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #24 
lillyandquigly

I was thinking(because both of my bettas are getting older)in a year or so after I have finished my research they will most likely have passed on and I'm thinking I want to maybe try delta tail bettas
Old 07-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #25 
lillyandquigly

or half moons
Old 07-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #26 
Creat

What ever you breed you should like it :) I do halfmoon because I love the challenge and the way they look.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #27 
lillyandquigly

I am somewhat partial to deltatails, but what would be the best breed for a beginner like me to breed?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #28 
Creat

All betta are about the same hm and other long fins might be torn plakats are supposedly more aggressive but I havent noticed it, its more personal preference. I would decide on a goal and go for it if you want to breed a certain line or color be sure to get a good pair. You could do a pair of multi hm most people are willing to take a pair off your hands delta's can be a little harder to find homes for.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #29 
lillyandquigly

ok yeah I love hm's to
Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #30 
Creat

I have a spawn growing out of multi HMs there not awesome nor do I know how they will turn out bu their history is great and if you want to I could sell you a pair for a discount :) Just cause I think they would go to a good home with you. They will be 4 months in late september which is about the age you can start breeding but like said before they are god till 12 months, however I have definitely bred older fish but they have smaller spawns.