Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #1 
britishbetta

Exclamation Raised scales - what on earth is this?!

Hi guys,

You may already know me as that gal who posted this earlier this week:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....46#post1152346

So I've been treating my fish, Shigeru, with 50% water changes and aq salt for 2 days, and today I noticed him having some partially raised scales on his tail (not tail fin, just the back end of his actual body). He's not inflated like a ball or anything, and his scales aren't sticking straight out horizontally, so I'm really confused - can something else other than dropsy cause raised scales? He's still energetic and alert and eats like a pig.

I consulted some aquarium shop staff who said it could be parasites of some sort, and they pointed out what seems to be have small patches of fungus growing on his mouth and head. Besides the fungus and raised scales, he also has graying patches. Should I be thinking of API Erythromyocin?

By now, I'm getting gray hairs as well... :blueshock:
britishbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #2 
Aahnay

There is thread here that talks about the gray patches. hunt it out. sorry i dont recall the titke,but you ehould read it now.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #3 
Aus

If he has fungus, hit him with medication fast. I don't faff around when it comes to that disease.

The raised scales may be indicating organ stress.. dropsy is not a disease but a symptom of that.

From the sticky thread on disease:

Dropsy
•Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. This is usually a fatal disease caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly.
Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes (important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyes and a gray belly, I suggest that you treat it for Dropsy.
•Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #4 
Aahnay

You know the thread on the gray patches, that show up and then the poor thing is dead in hours? Thats the one i was thinky about, sorry. I should have been in bed when I wrote that.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
erythromyocin, fungus