Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #1 
Purple

A Little Note/Rant

I've noticed that some (not all) people don't fill out the form that is stickied in this board. I'm probably not the only one who finds this annoying.

Honestly, it's there for a reason, and if you post without using the form, people are most likely going to ask you to fill it out, so please don't waste your time or ours making a thread without filling out the form.

It's not a very hard form to fill out. You don't have to tell us the exact mass of every piece of gravel in your tank. If you don't want to have to rewrite it, you could save a word document with some of the information filled out, and you could just fill in the blanks if your fish ever gets sick. (I believe I'm off to do that now...) It's actually easier than writing a giant block of text and trying to figure everything out.

It saves time. Sometimes, you have to be quick with these things. If we waste a day and a half asking you question after question that is in that form, whatever is wrong with your fish is probably getting worse. You, as a loving betta owner, and we, as betta lovers, want to get your fish over whatever is wrong with them as soon as possible so they won't be in pain/stressed/itchy, or whatever's wrong with them.

I really don't like having to ask someone to fill out a form that is basically thrown in their face in order to help them. It's annoying and time consuming. I personally love helping people get their bettas to feel better. I feel so good when I do, and I'm sure that's the reason why other people who also answer questions on this board do so.

</rant>

Last edited by Purple; 07-05-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #2 
Calypso77

Well easy to tell this rant is at me.... lol
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #3 
Purple

Oh, no! It's not "at" anyone. I don't mind asking. I'm sure it was just an accident, or you didn't see it. I'm sorry if I offended you!!

(I can be rude... If I were annoyed/mad/enraged at you I would tell you in a blunt way. :P)
Old 07-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #4 
WetBetta

I haven't been here that long. But I have realized that the form is a big help and does answer all of the basic questions that would need to be answered in order to help. Since I've been here, I have jumped in and tried to offer any help and suggestions I could.

I can tell you that Purple is NOT directing this at any specific person. Many don't use the form either because they don't want to or they don't know it's there, they don't look.

I see many new posts for help every day here. There are a lot considering. And everyone wants to help, but, it makes it harder when the first 2 or 3 pages of a thread are filled with questions that could have been answered in a single post in the beginning. So I understand completely what Purple is saying.
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #5 
Purple

Yeah... If it had been to a specific person I would be like "Bob, you're freaking stupid. I hate you." xD

I mean, honestly, if your thread subject is "MY BETTA IS DYING HELP ME AHHHH" and then the post says "My fish is sick. What do I do?" I mean... Ugh. :l
Old 07-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Talking Thank you for posting this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
I've noticed that some (not all) people don't fill out the form that is stickied in this board. I'm probably not the only one who finds this annoying.

Honestly, it's there for a reason, and if you post without using the form, people are most likely going to ask you to fill it out, so please don't waste your time or ours making a thread without filling out the form.

It's not a very hard form to fill out. You don't have to tell us the exact mass of every piece of gravel in your tank. If you don't want to have to rewrite it, you could save a word document with some of the information filled out, and you could just fill in the blanks if your fish ever gets sick. (I believe I'm off to do that now...) It's actually easier than writing a giant block of text and trying to figure everything out.

It saves time. Sometimes, you have to be quick with these things. If we waste a day and a half asking you question after question that is in that form, whatever is wrong with your fish is probably getting worse. You, as a loving betta owner, and we, as betta lovers, want to get your fish over whatever is wrong with them as soon as possible so they won't be in pain/stressed/itchy, or whatever's wrong with them.

I really don't like having to ask someone to fill out a form that is basically thrown in their face in order to help them. It's annoying and time consuming. I personally love helping people get their bettas to feel better. I feel so good when I do, and I'm sure that's the reason why other people who also answer questions on this board do so.

</rant>

Exactly what I have been trying to tell people! Thanks so much for posting this!!!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Realize that many people that do this are new members, often panicked about their fish.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #8 
Purple

A few people really have an attitude when we ask them to fill it out, though...

Honestly, I know this sounds mean and cruel, but I'm not going to sit down and ask questions if they didn't fill the form out. I'm going to tell them to fill it out, and if they don't, then I'm not going to help. If you don't care enough to spend five minutes filling that form out, why should I care enough to spend hours asking questions?
Old 07-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I can see both sides. The form IS rather long and takes time to fill out and when people are panicking about their fish it can be frustrating to fill out, plus not everyone cycles their tanks so the part about water parameters wouldn't pertain to everyone. On the other hand it helps if we can know the sick fish's living conditions, feeding schedule, symptoms etc. Also, clear pictures of the sick fish can help with a diagnosis.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #10 
TheCrabbyTabby

Can I say something?

When I was posting for the first time in the emergency forum I wasn't aware of the form/template. In all honesty, I should have checked for one, seeing as most forums geared towards animal care, with an emergency section, have one. However, I was on a one track mindset with my sick betta and didn't think to check.

I think this is the case of a lot of new members who come on here looking for help for their sick betta(s).
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote